Undercover

Context: You and Bucky are Avengers, best friends. You're pretty much in love with him, but you haven't told him, and you don't know if he feels the same. You've been sent on a mission together, to infiltrate a politician's house during a party, so you can find a file hidden in his office.

-----

It was extremely, ridiculously, unbelievably difficult to pick a lock with Bucky hovering over your shoulder like this. You didn't like it when anyone hovered over your work, even in the best of circumstances, but this wasn't anything close to the best of circumstances.

You weren't sure how it was possible for him to radiate enough heat that you could feel it through the layers of his three-piece suit, but there was no question that you could. It was impossible for you not to be aware of him, standing so close behind you. You could feel loose locks of your hair shifting with every one of his breaths. Every time he moved, you were enveloped again in his cologne and that underlying scent that was just him. And then his hand came to rest on the small of your back, in a touch so casual you weren't sure he was even aware of it. 

You, though? You suddenly had to fight to stay aware of anything else. Your attention narrowed instantly and completely to the feeling of vibranium fingers brushing your bare skin - oh you were going to kill Nat for convincing you to wear a dress with such a low-cut back. Suddenly, you could barely even remember what you were supposed to be doing, as tingling heat rippled out across your skin and up your spine from that simple touch alone.

Bucky had noticed you freeze up. "You okay?" His voice was low, nearly a whisper, and his lips were so close to your ear.

It should not be possible for a man to be capable of seducing you so completely without even meaning to. And yet, here you were with your heart threatening to beat straight out of your chest over one touch and two whispered words. That was all it took, and now you weren't sure if you could keep your voice level enough to give him a convincing answer.

This was so not the time for him to figure out just how bad you had it for him. You were usually better at keeping your feelings to yourself. But tonight, there were a million little reasons why your feelings for him weighed a little heavier than usual - none so impossible to handle on their own, but together? Together they were threatening to crush you completely.

Joke. You could tease him. That way, any wobble in your voice could be written off as contained laughter. Yeah. That'd work. Right?

"If you don't stop hovering, I'm going to stab you with a bobby pin." You glanced up at him, flashing him a quick grin for good measure. "Said with love, of course."

He smirked and took a step back from you. "I'll just be over here, then. Out of bobby pin range." He took another step back and leaned easily against the wall, looking the other direction down the hall, back toward the sounds of drunken merriment.

You forced your attention back to the lock in front of you, thanking fate that at least it was one of those older, clunky mechanisms where the tumblers would hold their position, even if you had to stop for a second to lose your whole goddamn mind over how badly you wanted to kiss your best friend.

It might have made you feel a little better, had you known that Bucky's thoughts in that moment weren't so different from your own. 

He was supposed to be watching out for anyone else who might have wandered out of the Congressman's party to catch the two of you breaking into the host's office. And therein was the problem - he was supposed to be watching something other than you. He had a hard time taking his eyes off of you, even in the best of circumstances, but this wasn't anything close to the best of circumstances.