Chapter 13 What Lays Inside Ophelia

"Happy birthday, Ron," Ophelia said softly, handing Ron a small wrapped parcel on the first of March.

"Oh, erm..." he said, glancing at Harry, who kept his eyes on the Potion book as he ate his breakfast. "Thanks."

Ron hesitantly opened the box but before he could pull out the very expensive chess set, Harry stood up. "Let's go, Ron, I forgot to give you your present."

With a determined strength, he helped Ron rise from his seat, pulling him up with unwavering support. Ophelia's gaze remained fixed on their departure, witnessing the sight of Harry guiding Ron out of the Great Hall, her emotions teetering on the edge, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"He'll come around," Hermione said from the other side of the table.

"I doubt it," Ophelia whispered, her face tight.

Hermione stared at her for a moment and then smiled. "Sit," she said, motioning to the empty seat in front of her.

Ophelia's face softened and she sat confused. "You don't hate me?"

Hermione shook her head, "No... I was angry at first but then after what Blaise told me, I understood and... was proud you didn't go through with it," she said. "Ron isn't angry with you either. In fact, he's been telling Harry to forgive you."

"He has?" Ophelia said shocked.

Hermione scoffed softly. "Shocking, I know."

A soft chuckle escaped Ophelia's lips as she lowered her gaze, her fingers intertwining nervously. The irony was not lost on her as she reflected on the unexpected turn of events. Never in her wildest dreams could she have imagined Ron Weasley, of all people, stepping up to defend her in such a situation. A bittersweet longing welled up within her, silently wishing that Harry could possess a similar sense.

"He'll come around..." Hermione said. "He just needs a little more time."

Ophelia nodded. "I know... but Sirius, it's my --"

"It's not your fault," Hermione said firmly, causing Ophelia to look up at her. "Even if you told Harry it was a trick, he still would've gone just to confirm it. Don't blame yourself and don't let Harry blame you either."

"You really are a good friend, Hermione," Ophelia said tears filling her eyes. "I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner."

Hermione smiled sweetly. "You've come very far, Ophelia. You certainly are not the same person you were two years ago."

"That's all thanks to you lot," Ophelia chuckled lightly.

Hermione shook her head. "No, this part of you was somewhere inside. You just needed a little push," she grinned.

But Ophelia couldn't imagine her life going well if she hadn't befriended Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Perhaps a small part of her was grateful Voldemort chose her to act on his revenge. But then again, she wouldn't be in this unforgiveable situation if she had denied his task. She would have liked the latter even if it meant her imminent death.

And the day dragged on. Ophelia tried to keep herself busy with homework but she could never focus. Her mind was riddled with Harry, and the glares he gave her. The unspoken hatred. She wished this would end soon.

To fill the void, Ophelia wondered the hall minding her perfect duties.

"Malfoy!" a voice sang.

Turning around, she spotted the lawless twins, Fred and George holding a large wrapped gift.

"What are you two doing here?" Ophelia said as they approached her.