85 | taylor swift

DISCLAIMER: In case you're new here, I am not trying to attack Taylor. I have literally been a fan of hers since her debut album. I grew up with her. But as I've gotten older, I've found it increasingly difficult to ignore some aspects of her that rub me the wrong way. This rant is just my opinions and reasonings why I, personally have found myself disappointed in/annoyed with her.

If you find yourself getting angry at me at any point while reading this, close out of the chapter! Maybe make a cup of tea, sit outside, feel the wind on your face. Don't comment mean stuff. Thanks.

Okay. Here we go.

I will not go into my background of my history of being a Taylor fan (not really labeling myself as a "Swiftie" though because I'm not caught up on all of the lore/Easter eggs/etc. I don't know everything about her. I feel like some "Swifties" would call me a local or whatever.... which is funny considering how long I've been a fan, I just don't have the energy to dissect every part of her life/career.

I jotted down a list of things that have been bothering me, and I think the best way to go about this is to just list them all with explanations in-between. There's no rhyme or reason to the order of the list; it's not in chronological order or by order of severity,  it's just whatever came to my mind.

JET FUEL USAGE

I know everyone is talking about this, but there's a reason for it. The sheer amount of carbon emissions from her alone is insane. I watched a video that maps out all of her flights in 2023 and... my dudes. Homegirl was taking flights that were probably 15-20 minutes, flying home after every concert, etc.

People have argued that she is famous so she can't be on commercial flights because it's "dangerous," but celebrities fly commercially all the time. Harry Styles, Ryan Reynolds, Timothee Chalamet, Tom Holland, Olivia Rodrigo, Madonna, Miley Cyrus, Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, and even Prince William and Kate Middleton have flown commercially. There are measures in place for high-profile people who choose first class or even business. Secret Service members will typically fill the seats surrounding politicians. Also, some airlines will let first class people get on the plane first, sometimes even entering the plane in a different way so the only people who see them are the staff.

Also, Taylor seemingly has no issue with being in huge crowds unprotected like she's been at Coachella. So like. ????

This is an issue that affects everyone, it's not just people whining that we aren't rich and are jealous of the things she has. It's doing damage to the planet.

I am criticizing her specifically because she emitted the most jet fuel usage out of any celebrity last year by an enormous margin, and also because of the lawsuit against that one college kid who was posting public info about her flights 24 hours after she took them. It feels like her team was trying to do damage control once people began criticizing her. In my opinion, it just made her look worse.

DECLINE IN QUALITY OF MUSIC AND OVEREXPOSURE

I honestly could not pinpoint the way I was feeling until I saw a post that a Reddit user on r/SwiftlyNeutral made (it's a great subreddit to explore btw— I referenced it a lot while brainstorming this rant, and will probably bring it up again). Here are screenshots:

 Here are screenshots: