Chapter : 25 - Sweetheart!

Start from the beginning

I laughed at her response, then asked, "Anything urgent? You were calling me continuously," I asked.

"Are you free?" She asked.

"Can I ever be busy for you, Uns?" I asked her.

"Nader!!!" She said while laughing.

"I am sending you the location, meet me there," she said and hung up.

I looked at the location but was surprised to see the place she was calling me to meet.

I got out of my car, only to stop my breathing at the sight of her. She was wearing the same white dress that had made me go insane for her before. She wore that same kurti and stood in front of me with some bags in her hand.

I walked towards her and took the bags from her hold while greeting her.

"Let's go," she said and held my left hand, walking.

Why is my heartbeat increasing now? I should be used to her holding my hand, but why does it increase every time she does this? How can she have so much effect on me without even trying?

"Why are we here?" I asked her as we entered the orphanage.

"We are here to give zakat," she said while walking.

"What's zakat?" I asked her.

She stopped in her tracks and looked towards me. She gave a confused look. But what's there to be confused about? I just asked her a normal question, isn't it?

"It's some amount of money from our income given to the people who can't help themselves, in the name of Allah," she said very calmly.

And now I understood why she was confused to hear my question.

But I am surprised by her response. Without taunting me for not knowing about this, she explained it very calmly.

"What will we get in return, Uns?" I asked her.

"Nothing," she said.

"Nothing?" I asked again.

"Yes," she said.

"Then why should we give?" I asked.

"When someone gives for the sake of Allah, no profit is sought, Nader. We are His servants, and if He has given us more than others, then we should give zakat in His name. Giving zakat is farz (obligatory)," she said.

"What happens when we give zakat, Uns?" I asked again, being interested in this new thing.

"We get to see their smiles, Nader. After starving for days, when they get bread, we get to see that happiness. When a little child gets a new toy, we get to see that joy. Just for that happiness," she was saying as we reached the child section.

She took the bag from my hold and went towards them. And she was indeed right here too; the smiles on the children were very precious. Some jumped out of excitement, some danced, some were running with each other.

And today I learned one more thing from her. I learned about zakat from her.

Who is she? What is she? What is she doing with me? In these months, I have learned many things about Allah from her.

Zakat? Someone mentioned it to me before, but no one explained it to me like her, she was playing with the kids, laughing and spinning them around when her foot slipped, but before she could touch the ground, I pulled her towards me.

"Be careful, Uns. What if something had happened to you?" I scolded her.

"Aap hona, mujhe sambhal neh ke liye (You're here to take care of me, aren't you)" she said, giving a small smile.