Sorting ceremony

We all stopped when we reached the front of the great hall, just in front of the sorting hat and the teachers table.

"Will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," McGonagall said before stepping to the side.

"I have a few starts of term notices I wish to announce," declared Dumbledore, rising from his chair,
"The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."
He sat back down acting as though that had been a normal way to greet us.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses," explained McGonagall, gesturing to the old and crumpled hat that sat on the stool.

"Hermione Granger" was the first to be called.

Lyra gave her an up, and she nodded. The sorting hat was placed on her head and after a time.

"Ah right then hmm... right. Okay GRYFFINDOR!!" The Gryffindor table cheered while Hermione walked over to their table with a smile on her face.

"Draco Malfoy" was called.

He sauntered up to the front of the hall looking as overly confident as ever.

The hat didn't even have to be put completely on his head when it announced that his house is Slytherin.

Draco looked at them with a smirk on his face and hopped off the stool, walking proudly over to the cheering Slytherin table.

"There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin."
Lyra heard the ginger boy from earlier say.

Wow—prejudice much? And I'll bet you anything he hates Slytherin because they're 'prejudiced' or 'judgmental' or something like that. It's ironic.

Lyra's eyes drifted over to the teachers' table while more names were called.

When her eyes found Quirrell (the constantly terrified DADA professor) he turned away to talk to dad, so his turban faced her.
She felt something unusual about it.

The ginger boy, who I now know is called Ronald Weasley, got sorted into Gryffindor along with a few others, including the boy from earlier with the toad whose name Neville.

Crabbe and Goyle were also called up and sorted into Slytherin along with Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, Theodore Nott, and a few others.

"Blaise Zabini," McGonagall read from her list.

"Blaise turned to me on Blaise it'll be fine," Lyra reassured quietly.

He gulped and walked hesitantly over to the stool.
After a short pause, the hat announced his house as Slytherin.

He smiled at her and went to join the others. Oh great, now I'm left waiting to be sorted without any of my friends - just my bloody luck.

"Harry Potter!" Called McGonagall. The hall went silent before breaking out into whispers.

"Potter? the Harry Potter? I heard someone on a table close to me ask. Harry sat down with the hat on his head and again the hall went silent in suspense, until eventually after an extremely long pause the hat started to talk.

"Well, if you're sure... better be..." It paused again, "GRYFFINDOR!!"

The Gryffindor table cheered even louder than usual, but overall the noise, Lyra could still hear the Weasley twins chanting, "We got a Potter! We got a Potter!"