K'von had a learning disability. When he went to school, he attended special classes. However, he stayed home most of the time, playing video games in his room. Maya wondered at her parents for allowing him so much idle time.

Her Aunt didn't have much time for K'von either. Maya remained at the top of the stairs, listening to Aunt Chloe shout at her brother. She was irritated that he ordered a pizza during a hurricane.

"Ain't nobody delivering pizza, K'von," Aunt Chloe yelled, pushing her face close to her nephew. She crossed her arms and tapped her toe on the hardwood floor. "Not in a hurricane."

K'von poked out his lower lip and pouted. His brown eyes grew round and blank. Watching from the stairway, Maya shook her head. He made that expression whenever he didn't get his way. She always thought it was an act. In fact, she believed his entire countenance was put on for show.

Behind his dimwitted façade, Maya knew that her younger brother was as intelligent as she was. He could do algebra in his head, and he was currently reading Herman Melville's Moby Dick. He kept his library books under his bed so no one could find them. Someday, she planned on tattling on him. She would make her parents see he only pretended stupidity.

Defeated, K'von plodded toward the stairs. Maya ducked into her room and closed the door softly. She didn't want her brother to catch her spying. Facing the shuttered window, her shoulders sank. She tried to look outside and watch the hurricane roar around her. She closed her eyes and felt herself amid the whirling wind and the slanted rain. She raised her face and practically felt the slashing drops pierce her skin.

Finally, Maya turned to the blank canvas on its easel. She would recreate it if she couldn't become a part of the storm. Lifting a graphite artist's pencil, she etched the shoreline across the canvas's lower quarter. Above it, she drew the roaring surf. Swiftly, Maya created whitecapped waves undulating toward the sand. Dark and angry, the sky hovered above the crashing waves. Slashing wind and rain swirled across the surface of the drawing.

Maya stood back, criticizing her creation. She liked it, but something was missing. For a moment, she considered destroying it, starting over. She had plenty of time. The hurricane would remain above them for hours. House lights flickered, then held strong.

"What you up to?" a voice asked. The figure stood behind her, nodding. "Not bad."

"Whatchoo doing here?" Maya asked, turning toward the newcomer. She hadn't realized she had company.

The tall boy shrugged his shoulders. Hamilton Rigby lived across the street. Besides playing point guard for the high school basketball team, he was Maya's boyfriend.

"I ran over during a lull in the storm," he explained, wrapping his arms around her waist and planting a kiss on the back of her neck. I couldn't bear thinking of you here and me over there."

"Get out of that raincoat. You're dripping all over me." Maya stepped back, holding her arms up. "Go hang it up someplace."

When Hamilton didn't move, Maya opened the closet and pushed a hanger into his hands. She pointed toward her bathroom door and told him to hang the dripping coat in the shower. He obeyed quickly.

"Why are men always so stupid?" she muttered to herself. "We have to tell them how to do everything." She shook her head, causing her beaded braids to clack together.

Hamilton lumbered back and stood before Maya's drawing. Her talent astonished him. She created wonderfully detailed pictures even when they played with sidewalk chalk in grade school. The raging hurricane was one of her best.

"What do you think's missing?" he eventually asked. "It's really terrific."

"I don't know." Maya shrugged.