Ch23. Tired

I wake up screaming, my hands pushing away the sheets from me as I try to escape from approaching danger, my breathing is heavy as I'm pulled from the nightmare abruptly. It was from my first games I think I was being hunted down, mutts and tributes alike all running towards me, reaching me just as my eyes open revealing I'm in my own bedroom, still heavily pregnant.

Peeta is immediately trying to comfort me, very use to my nightmares at this point he pulls me into his arms as he runs his fingers up and down my back.

He whispers soothing words to me, assuring me it was just another nightmare, our third one for the night already.

Once my breathing has finally evened out Peeta tries to pull me back down into a laying position, but I hesitate.

"I don't think I can go back to sleep yet" I tell him hesitantly, there's only so many nightmares I can take and I've already experienced my fair share tonight, not to mention the ones I've had all week seemingly.

If it's not my aching body waking me up or my bladder about to give out from the baby resting on it, it's a nightmare waking me. And in all honesty I don't think the exhaustion is helping the nightmares at all.

Peeta sighs adjusting his position to sit upright next to me, "then I'll stay up too"

I shake my head, "no you should go back to sleep, you look exhausted"

"You do too" Peeta quips back.

I groan, "I can't take anymore nightmares and please you need your rest, uninterrupted by me" I add.

I see him go to argue so I counter back, "I'm just going to go walk around a little to clear my head, please just go back to sleep, I'll be back soon"

I watch him contemplate this, sighing he lays back down.

I lean over to kiss his forehead, pulling the covers around him, weirdly switching the roles from the situation we just had.

As I creep out of the room I make my first stop at the bathroom, emptying my bladder with a sigh of relief.

The baby is very active as I walk around, clearly disappointed I'm not asleep.

"I know" I whisper down to my bump rubbing it lightly.

I find myself walking into the nursery, gliding my fingers along the cribs smooth wood railings all set up and ready for the baby that is currently kicking my internal organs. I imagine myself standing over the crib smiling down at a little squishy face.

I make my way over to the rocking chair, gently lowering myself onto the moving seat, rocking on it slowly to try and ease the baby.

"Come on baby I'll never fall back asleep if you keep using my ribs as a punching bag" I receive a huge kick in response making me wince in pain, but after that the movement eases down soon coming to a complete stop.

I continue rocking as my mind tries to think of anything but the images of my nightmares, but to not much success, the rocking motion does however calm me, and slowly I feel my eyelids drooping.

I'm not sure how much time has passed when I'm shaken awake by Peeta, it appears to be daytime now evident to the small rays of sunshine creeping through the blinds but it appears to still be early.

"Katniss" his voice is soft, pulling me from my light sleep. I don't think I got that much sleep but I didn't get anymore nightmares so I'm happy.

I groan at him when I realise It's time to get up.

"You'll get sore sleeping like that" Peeta voices letting me take my time getting out of the chair, giving me a hand when I struggle to push out of it.

"I'm already sore" I quip back glumly.

He chuckles but gives me a guilty look. "Are you hungry?"

I nod, a yawn escaping me "always"

Peeta leads us down the stairs towards the kitchen, me grumbling out a complaint as he makes me take it slow on the stairs.

When we make it to the kitchen I pull myself up onto one of the stools that overlooks the kitchen, watching Peeta prepare some pancakes per my request.

Peeta flips them directly from the pan onto my plate, making sure I've had enough before even daring to take a bite of his own.

Then when he's done he joins me on the other side of the bench, beginning on his as I finish off mine.

I continue to watch him quietly, only getting up from the table once he's done.

We decide that today we would go into town to buy some of the last items we need for the baby, so as Peeta cleans up from breakfast I decide to have a shower before we leave.

The water is nice and soothing on my aching muscles so much so I almost never want to get out, but eventually I do, feeling the need to sit down after standing for so long.

Once I'm dry I pull on a thin stretchy top, I think it might have been one Effie sent from the capitol, a maternity top I think she said. Then I decide on a long flowy skirt to go with it, not really my favourite type of clothing to wear but it's super hot at the moment and the skirt feels breathable while still looking presentable.

As I finish up I braid my hair back from my face before making my way back downstairs to find Peeta. I find him in his art studio, sketching something onto a new canvas.

He looks up as I rest against the door frame, smiling over at me.

"You look nice" he comments.

I blush, "well I haven't been into town in so long I have to be presentable when I do it."

He nods, "are you ready to go then?"

I nod back, "I think so"

He drops his pencil back down onto the table rising to his feet.

"What are you sketching?" I ask him curiously as we exit the room.

He smiles sheepishly, "you'll see, I'm going to paint it later I just wanted to get the sketch down before I forget it"

I nod pulling on a pair of sandals, struggling slightly to reach down to my feet.

Peeta laughs when he sees me struggling, I scowl.

"Don't laugh"

This just makes him laugh harder, but realising I'm having trouble he gives me a hand.

He pulls me up to standing once I'm done, a task that is becoming more difficult to do by myself every day.

It's nice to feel the wind against my face as we head off into town, I truly missed being outdoors but by the end of the walk I understand why I don't do it often anymore, my body is aching.

Once we reach the hob we find a cool shady spot to sit, allowing my body to cool down and relieve a bit of the ache that riddles it.

When I feel I'm ready to begin walking again, Peeta helps me up and we make our way into a second hand shop.

Browsing around for awhile we end up finding a nice looking grey rug for the nursery, we also find a few children's books and a few cute looking onesies that are just too cute not to buy.

In the next shop we go into we find all of the last items on our list for the baby, a diaper bag, swaddles, some bottles and a pump just incase baby doesn't want to nurse or I have left over milk, and I also find something called a baby wrap, a long piece of fabric that allows the baby to be close to me while still keeping my hands free.

In the end it's a very successful trip.

When we get back home I am absolutely spent, remembering how little sleep I got last night I agree when Peeta suggests I go take a nap.

He helps me up to bed, kissing me gently on the forehead as he wishes me a good sleep.

And luckily it comes.

A/N  I'm seriously losing track of the days! I nearly forgot to upload again! Anyway here it is, a bit of a filler chapter today but I hope you enjoyed!