Ch14. Picnic

"Ugh I'm so sick of this" the book I'm only half reading flies out of my hands in a rage.

Peeta's voice calls out from downstairs in reaction, "are you okay? I heard a crash"

"I'm fine" I call back though I can tell his footsteps are getting closer regardless.

As he appears in the doorway he glances over at me still resting on the bed where he'd last seen me then around the room before stopping at the book, crumpled on the floor.

"I'm sorry, I just can't do it anymore" he looks back over at me, a sad look in his eye as he takes in my image.

He leans over to pick up my discarded book and places it on the bedside table before sliding in next to me.

He rests his arm around me in a comforting manor, "what do you want to do?"

I sigh, "hunt, but I can't do that can I?"

He sighs back in return, "well no, probably not. But you could still go out into the woods"

"She said I had to rest, didn't she?" I ask him placing a palm to my face in frustration.

"Well she did, but it doesn't mean you can't do anything, you can still get out of bed and go for a walk"

"And if something happens?"

"Then I'll be there with you"

I shake my head turning on my side and sliding in further to the bed, "I couldn't live with myself if I hurt this baby"

The room stays quiet and for a second I think he's going to leave it at that but just as I think that he begins again.

"You're mental health is also important, and I can see being cooped up in here all day is taking it's toll" I look back up to see him giving me a pointed look "you need to look after yourself first"

I lay my head back down in frustration.

His hand comes to rest on my shoulder, "you can go back to sleep if you like but later on I'm getting you out of the house"

I find myself meekly nodding, holding back the urge to tell him that he can't make me do anything.

He leans over to kiss me on the cheek telling me he'll be back shortly.

Suddenly feeling very tired just like every other moment this pregnancy I close my eyes, telling myself I'll just rest them until Peeta gets back with food.

***

I sit up with a start, realising quickly that I had fallen asleep without meaning to.

I don't know how long it has been but there's no sign of Peeta anywhere.

"Peeta" I call out questioningly, I'm only met with silence.

"Peeta?" I ask again, pulling myself out of the bed to go find him.

I slip on a pair of slippers as I reach the bottom level, the hardwood floor cold on my bare feet.

"Peeta?" I repeat, the question a whisper from my lips.

I don't find him in the kitchen, nor anywhere in the house.

My feet lead me outside before I can truly think about what I'm doing.

They lead me up the path and before I know it I'm walking towards the woods.

Then it happens, first it begins with a terrible pain in my abdomen, slowly increasing in severity until finally I can no longer walk.

I crumple down to the floor a scream escaping my lips as I yell out in pain.