As I sat in the car on the way to the penthouse, my mind was swirling with thoughts. I couldn't shake off the feeling of apprehension about attending Tita Cerise's celebration. I wondered what kind of people they were and how they would perceive me. Would they see me as just another face in the crowd, or would they take an interest in getting to know me?

Despite my reservations, I couldn't deny the sense of obligation that weighed heavily on me. Mom's words echoed in my mind, reminding me that her wishes were non-negotiable. She had always been one to prioritize social appearances and connections, and I knew better than to defy her.

I'm not in the mood when nerdy arrived. While he was teaching, my mind wandered elsewhere. I couldn't shake off the thoughts about the upcoming event. I knew they would inevitably compare me to Mommy again, saying we were both beautiful, smart, and all sorts of praises, and Mommy would be delighted. She loved being praised by many people. It's tiresome to attend such events. Always the same. I know that nerdy noticed I wasn't paying attention, so he stopped teaching. I glanced at him when he did that.

His eyes held a mixture of concern and curiosity as he paused mid-sentence, waiting for me to respond. I felt a pang of guilt knowing that my lack of focus had disrupted his flow of teaching. With a sigh, I forced myself to return to the present moment, pushing aside my preoccupation with the impending event.

"You can continue," I murmured, offering him a weak smile. "My mind was just... elsewhere."

Nerdy's expression softened, and he nodded understandingly. "It's okay, Niona. Is everything alright?"

I hesitated, unsure of how much to share with him. After all, he was just my tutor, and I wasn't accustomed to confiding in others, especially not someone like him. But there was something about the sincerity in his eyes that made me want to open up, if only a little.

"I'm just feeling... overwhelmed, I guess," I admitted, choosing my words carefully. "There's this event coming up, and I'm not sure I'm ready for it."

Nerdy listened attentively, his gentle presence offering me a sense of comfort that I hadn't expected. For a brief moment, I allowed myself to let go of my defenses and be vulnerable in his presence, knowing that he wouldn't judge me for it.  I silently vowed to make more of an effort to pay attention during our tutoring sessions. But I failed.

Mommy: Saturday, 10 am is our family photo session followed by dinner with the Windsor father and son.

Sabi ni mommy sa text.. I stood up abruptly upon reading it. Didn't Sheldon have plans? I hurried upstairs to change my clothes. When I came back down, I saw the guy tidying up the books and papers on the table. Oh right, I forgot about him.

"Can we reschedule for tomorrow? I have something to attend to today," I said.

"Sure," he replied as he finished cleaning up.

"Sumabay ka na sa akin" sabi ko habang isinusukbit niya ang bag sa likod.

"Hindi na, ayos lang" sagot niya.

"No, it's okay"

I persuaded him further kaya wala na rin siyang nagawa. Makulit ako e.

"No, I'm fine," I insisted, grabbing my bag. Sinubukan niyang kuhanin ang bag ko at siya na raw ang magbibitbit. We didn't finish the lesson anyway, so I'll just drop him off. Eventually, he agreed. We sat side by side in the backseat, both silent. I stared out the window as I always did, but I felt a bit uncomfortable having someone beside me in the car for the first time. I didn't look at him the whole trip.

As we drove in silence, I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease lingering in the air. The usual comfort of solitude in the car was replaced by the presence of this unfamiliar companion beside me. I stole a glance at him from the corner of my eye, noting the tension in his posture and the slight furrow in his brow.