Chapter 1

There was no doubt that Sasha was nervous for her first day at Francois Dupont High School. She had been homeschooled for as long as she could remember and believe me when I say that it was an impressively long time.

Sasha was a sweet girl, very quiet and polite as they come. She had tan skin, forest green eyes, and waves of chestnut hair that sat perfectly no matter how windy it was.

Sasha lived in a tiny apartment with her Grandfather, Wang Fu on the right bank of the Seine River in Paris, where he ran his own business as a Chinese healer. It wasn't much, but to Sasha, it was home, and there was no place on earth she would rather be.

"Now, remember..." Her grandpa started for the twelfth time that morning.

"Be brave, be kind, and never give up." Sasha finished his mantra for him. "I know, Yéye. I'm just nervous."

This was true, you see, Grandpa Fu was no ordinary grandpa. For starters, he was 186 years old, which sounds impressive enough.

When he was just 14 years old, he was torn from the safety of his family to become a member of an ancient Tibetan monastery. But Fu never wanted any part of it, and because of his reckless actions, the temple was destroyed, along with everyone inside. Fu had managed to escape with the very thing he had been training to protect, the miracle box, but barely and it came at a cost, as two jewels from that very miracle box were lost during his escape, and it had recently come to their attention that those magical jewels may have ended up in very bad hands.

"It has been so long since we have felt any trace of the miraculous of the butterfly, which is why we must be prepared for anything," Fu explained. "If somebody intends to use the miraculous of the butterfly for evil purposes, your powers alone won't be enough to stop them."

Sasha had been born with a rare ability, though her grandfather refused to tell her how this came to be. She had many magical abilities, telekinesis, telepathy, duplication, incredible stamina and most would suggest an incredible mind, but that was merely the result of her love for studying. Her grandfather had gifted her with a special miraculous many years ago, the miraculous of the deer, which granted her the power of intuition and healing, but her magical abilities did nothing to quell the apprehension in her stomach today.

"You must choose two allies to fight alongside you in this mission. I am trusting you. I know you will find the perfect holders for the ladybug and the black cat."

With a deep breath, Sasha squared her shoulders, grasping her backpack as she headed out into the world to prepare for her mission.

The walk through Place des Vosges square was rather pleasant. She notices a few children playing on the carousel, a lady getting rather upset on the phone, a tall and skinny man feeding a swarm of pigeons, and a lady standing beneath a large tree, looking rather worried.

"Come on, Michelle. You can do it." She heard the woman say. It was then that Sasha realized that the lady was calling for her cat, who appeared to be stuck.

Sasha looked around for somewhere to hide and quickly tucked herself behind a pillar. She opened her jacket and a tiny flying creature whizzed out of a small pocket she had sewn inside. The creature was painfully adorable with purple eyes and tiny antlers atop his head.

"Scoutt, bound forth!"

In a small flash of light, she transformed her casual first-day-of-school outfit, now replaced by a long white shirt with brown sleeves covered in white spots and leggings to match. She had small antlers atop her head, paired with a white mask and a small black nose. On her back, she sported a bow and quiver, which she only used in dire emergencies. Her charm bracelet, once sporting many different charms; a flower, a tree, a leaf, and a small deer, now had 5 antler charms, which would disappear one by one after she used her power.

The second her transformation finished, she leaped out into the open and raced toward the woman she had seen struggling moments before. Without a word, she leaped up the tree and gently beckoned the small kitten towards her. The tiny feline was shaking with fear and Sasha carefully took a hold of her before sliding off the branch she was sitting on and landing rather gracefully on the ground.

"Thank you!" The woman cheered as a small audience began to applaud. This was nothing new to Sasha, as she had been performing these small acts of kindness in Paris for many years now. She handed the lady her kitten with a smile before racing off to transform back.

Her selfless act had left her running late for school, which she had taken extra precautions to avoid, though it seemed she was destined to run to school this morning.

She didn't even have time to take in the large building that stood in front of her before she raced inside. She had seen the map of the school on their website and knew where to go, so darted to the stairs but as she reached the top, she hit something, hard, sending her toppling to the floor, and the books in her arms flying.

"Watch where you're going, nitwit!"

***