22 - Getting to INDIA

Start from the beginning

I knew who this was yet I chose to ignore it because my dearest mom had finally got over her "10 mins".

I rush and hug her tightly and pull her in to taste the lovely pancakes that I'd made for her and Ruhaan. But she seems to be diverting me to another topic , she opposes my pull and urges me to take a seat on a chair nearby.

"RELAX Ruby there's still time for breakfast but there's a surprise which I want you to see right now.."

"Surprise ?? What is it??"

Look -

And she hands me over her mobile to look at some document. I zoom in for a clear look and it says UNITED

Wait .. a flight ticket?
To .. Maddy what? Wait wait INDIA??

And the scream ends up being Ruhaan's alarm as he walks out a minute later while I'm still engrossed in understanding the document and in his sleepy voice he says

"Why are you screaming so early in the morning??"

Oh god my eyes are on the screen but my heart is focused on his words and my insides are drowning by his voice when mom suddenly says

"9am .. is early??"

I quickly stand in Ruhaan's support
"Mom we just slept a little late"

"And may I ask why" she says giving me a stern look

"It was just a conversation.. a really long one.." and my head lowers with awkwardness

"Oh relax Ruby you get it right?" And she points out at the screen

"Not really sure .."

And I pass it to Ruhaan who within a minute exclaims

"We're going to INDIA?? THAT'S AWESOME"

He returns me the mobile and suddenly pulls me into a dance a very weird one indeed.

"Yes .. You're family and Ruby shall leave for India with the evening flight so that y'all can help Ruby settle in the conditions of her after marriage home and I will accompany as soon as possible.."

She brushes my hair and leaves to her room.

What just happened?

Going to India? My after marriage home? Wait we're getting married?

"Ruby Ruby I'm soooo fucking happy my love .. do you get this? We're getting married oh god that too in India oh gosh I'll show you around every place and I'll feed you the best delicacies and there's so much to do you're gonna love it babe" and he kisses my forehead immediately leaving to go somewhere.

I settle on the sofa with a sense of fear .. A weird feeling in my stomach warns me of the upcoming danger and my heart is filled with anxious thoughts. But at the end of the day I need to go to India and let the fate be what it is destined to be.

I shake off my intrusive thoughts and control myself from throwing or breaking anything that is around me. "Ruby relax.." I say to myself and go into the bedroom only to find Ruhaan overexcitedly throwing all my clothes on the bed making it the messiest room in existence.

"RUBY you don't have anything Indian in your bloody closet??"

He's getting on my nerves now and I just give him a "isn't it obvious that I have been in US my whole life and you expect my closet to have Indian clothes?"

He gets annoyed and steps out of the room like why is this man creating this scene right now? Male ego?

And I got my answer when he came back to grab my wrist pulling me and heading straight for my mom's room. What is he gonna do ? Complain to my mom about my behaviour?