CHAPTER FOURTY TWO

Start from the beginning

It takes a couple of minutes before she can speak properly again. "Okay. Why don't we go shower and change and see what today brings. We'll see what happens as we go along." I say trying to comfort my friend.

"Okay. Sounds goods." Carley says and we both take a slow journey up the stairs and towards the guest room.

I check my phone, while Carley eats a left over cupcake from last night. There's a message from Blake:

Hey Sarah.
Sorry for screaming at you yesterday.
I'm not angry at you or Carley.
Just at myself.
Sent her a message, said if she wants to talk we can.
But I haven't gotten a reply.
Please help.

Carley didn't say anything to me. So I guessing that means she's not ready yet. I send Blake a reply:

Hey

Don't think Carley's ready to talk yet.
I can't promise anything but I'll try.
See you Monday.

"Who you talking to?" Carley asks in a far better tone than before.

"Just Daniella. Asking me to bring her coffee if I'm downstairs." I lie. No ways I'm going to tell her I'm conspiring with her ... Ex. Still kinda weird calling Blake that.

"Oh okay and I thought about it. Maybe dress shopping won't be too bad. I mean we don't have to buy anything but it could still be fun."

"Sure. Carls. If you're up for it, I'm in. I'm sure it'll be fun." I say and hug her. At least it'll take her mind off Blake.

***

"Come on Carls just try this on please. It's your color." I shove another dress in Carley's face as she stomps off into the change room.

"If I knew finding the 'perfect dress' would take this long, I'm pretty sure I would have just gone in my ripped skinnies and baggy t-shirt." She yells.

"Well that's your fault and I've got you here now so you may as well enjoy it." I yell back. It's the 15th dress I've gotten Carley to try on you we still haven't even started searching for a dress for me; but honestly I don't care how long this takes. Just so it keeps her mind preoccupied, I'm happy. Moody, dress-shopping Carley is a lot better than crying Carley.

She hasn't said anything yet, like the other dresses and I'm not sure what's going. Has she silently burst into tears ?
"Carls? Is everything okay in there?" I call out. "I'm sure it's not as bad as the yellow one I made you put on. Please come out."

The latch unlocks and Carley steps out almost speechless. I look down to the dress and I can't believe it. She looks incredible. It's a hunter green knee length dress, with a boatneck neckline.

"Carley that looks amazing on you!!" I squeal and shove her towards the full length mirror.

"I'm not going to lie. It doesn't look to bad." She says and turns slightly to check the back.

"Doesn't look THAT BAD? Carley you dweeb it looks amazing!"

We stand in silence for a bit, still in awe how great the dress looks on her. Then I have to pop her bubble with the question we still need to answer. "So Carley... Are we getting it? You can't lie. It looks like it we made for you and it would be a shame if someone else took it."

Her smile fades. Ugh I hate having to do this but we can't sit in the shop forever.

"Well." She begins. "I still don't know if I'm going to prom..."

"Oh man Carley! Let's just go. It's our last chance to go out and have fun before it all ends. You're leaving to who knows where and we may not get another opportunity; and you know what. So what if you're not dating Blake. You guys have enough time to sort things out before then and figure out whether you still want to be together or not but don't let him ruin your last prom ever!"