"We actually have some items to protect ourselves, so we're in a better position to talk things out..." Ashlyn said.

"They're still outside the door.." Ashlyn warned, "I can hear them but.. not in a normal way."

Taylor and Tyler were working on the chair and pulling poles out.

Logan was standing up.

Ben was looking inside his backpack

While you and Aiden laid next to each other with your feet in the air.

"What do you mean?" Logan asked.

"..Remember how I said I had sensitive ears?"Ashlyn asked.

"Ooh that's right! So you can hear them moving outside or something?" Aiden happily said.

"Sort of. They make a certain... sound u don't think you guys can hear." Ashlyn explained.

"Can you get to the point?" Tyler angrily asked.

"I'm trying you jerk. This ain't easy to explain." Ashlyn snapped back in an annoyed tone.

"The thing is, because of how loud everything is to me, I hear... phantom noises as a side effect. Sounds that aren't really there." She explained.

"In the sorrel weed house I thought I was hearing a phantom noise and when I saw the monster..." Ashlyn explained, "I thought it was just a type of hallucination."

"But then it grabbed me."

"A hallucination that grabbed you, injured you, and that all of us had seen? And you thought it wasn't real?" Tyler scoffed in a snarky way.

"Well you thought it was a prank and-" Ashlyn was about to continue, "-no nevermind. It doesn't matter right now."

"Control yourself"
"Control yourself"
"Control yourself"

"What I'm getting at is that-" Ashlyn continued, "I can hear and locate them when you guys can't."

"So what's the plan then?" Tyler asked, "use your magic hearing to save the day?"

Thinking

"No..well yes, but later." Ashlyn replied, "I think we should stay here for now so we can reset and... prepare ourselves."

"Once we go outside, there's no telling what we'll encounter." Ashlyn carefully explained, "and let's not leave the living room if something happens, I don't want to be split up."

"There isn't much we can do right now, so do some mental exercises."

"Mental exercises?" Aiden asked.

"Imagining yourself in certain situations and seeing how you'll react." Ashlyn answered.

Flashback

"When you do actually encounter a situation like the one you imagined, you're able to react faster." Ashlyn's dad explained, "anything that puts one step ahead is worth doing."

Flashback end

"Anytime you aren't asleep, that's what you should be doing."

"Yeah great plan. Day dream and sleep with monsters outside the door." Tyler scoffed.

"We'll take turns keeping lookout." Ashlyn explained.

"Logan, is the time still twelve?" Ashlyn asked.

"O-oh um- I'll check..." Logan stuttered, "... it hasn't changed."

"Logan noticed the time wasn't changing about an hour ago." Ashlyn noted, "if the time isn't working, then alarms won't work either."