5

It had been two days since Lady Zenida and Ommin sent for the perimeter of the House to be scouted. The rain had lessened slightly, a sign that the unusual storm would soon come to an end.

Lady Zenida sat in the verto with Ommin as he tended to the plants. The room was nicely lit up as the density of the upward clouds had decreased, allowing the light to spill into the glass roof and through the few russet linens that hung overhead.

“The energy surrounding the House these past few days have been making me queasy,” Lady Zenida sighed as she rested her forearms on the tidy desk. Ommin stopped tending to a Riqi plant briefly to look over at her. She seemed… spent. He left the plants he was tending to and stood near Lady Zenida, one hand extended.

“May I?” Ommin asked her softly, to which she nodded and straightened her back. He put his hand on her forehead for a brief moment, before shaking his head, “No fever. It’s a relief you are not ill, My Lady.” She sighed in agreement but felt a pang of dissatisfaction: he had missed the point. She truly felt queasy, but it was not just because of the energy they felt. It was also not knowing the energy source that has been making her mind swim. It was not an illness, but a feeling of unknown eyes watching. She had spent the last two days weaving a barrier around the House, not even sure what exactly she is protecting against, or if protection is what the housemates need. The uncertainty truly took its toll on her body, as she prepared for any circumstance she could fathom.
From across the verto, a sudden gasp of remembrance slipped from Ommin’s lips. He whirled around to face a wide-eyed Lady Zenida, who was startled at the sudden gasp. She looked at him with confusion as her hands darted to her chest and clasped each other.

“My Lady,” he suddenly had a boyish passion as he set down his tools, “that special order that we set with Dwerk should be arriving today,” his hands shook with excitement as he brushed off stray plant fragments and soil from his tattered apron.

Lady Zenida let out a small hearty laugh, “Oh dear, I suppose we must prepare for the delivery,” she looked at him, locking eyes, “and thank you, Ommin.” He looked confused before she continued, “I’ve been nauseous from the stress of not knowing, but you-” she paused.

The main bell rang out loudly through The House, stopping Lady Zenida’s remark midway. They looked at each other expectantly, Ommin had a sparkle in his eye that Lady Zenida knew well: the sparkle of shopping. She laughed even louder now, walking with Ommin towards the main gate as he gave her glances, unsure of what she was laughing at. She kept a smile on her face, ever grateful for a confidante like him.

The majority of the housemates were standing in the primary field, while Lady Zenida and Ommin stood at the end of the walkway, inside the opened secondary gates. Bayaz and Lakira stood on either side of the primary gate, ready to open the doors when given the cue.

The children were playing in the sprinkling rain, careful to not be too close to the primary gates, just as they were taught. The adults stood together in groups, not caring to shield themselves from the rain thus far. They watched as the children ran from the spots of sun that speckled the ground, trills of happiness escaping them as they made a game of it.

Vancho played with them in the rain, his cheery smile lighting up alongside the other childrens’, but he did not care for the tradition of staying clear of the primary gate. He would constantly find that his gaze had fixed itself on the two guardians at the gate, and his body would follow, inching him closer and closer to the border between safety and danger. Every time he steered too close, Lakira’s eyes would harden and pierce through him, sending him back on his way.
Just as he was starting to make his way back towards the gate, Vancho saw the two guardians move towards the doors and he quickly turned around and looked at Lady Zenida to see if he could catch what the cue was. He was too late, she didn’t make any cues. He frowned and turned back towards the primary gate which was just now opening.