"I have never watched the shining before. Was it really that scary that Rafe got scared?" Topper asked, looking at Valera

"I didn't get scared!"

"I don't think it's scary, " Valera replied, "we could watch it while Rafe cooks for us."

"Oh, your funeral is tomorrow." Rafe suddenly said, the mood turning serious.

"She just died yesterday. He already has everything planned?" Topper asked in disbelief

"No, I did. I got it all settled. What do you think I was doing all day?" Rafe questioned, turning to face them.

Valera and Topper shared a look,

"You know what? Don't answer that, I don't want even want to know."

🌊

"...I can't believe it." Sarah whispered, standing a few feet away from the funeral currently being held.

She was hiding with John B in a crowd of people who didn't even know Valera.

The others were standing near Valera's casket, and Rafe was standing next to wheezie, who was holding back tears.

Kiara had tears streaming down her face, but she wasn't making sound. Her parents stood next to her.

Pope stood next to the Carrera family with his own family.

Bobby had a hand on Pope's shoulder in a comforting manner, and JJ...

JJ was alone. His dad could obviously care less. He wasn't alone for long as Dawn and Kai moved to either side of him.

Neither of the brothers were showing emotion. They were just staring at the closed casket.

"Sarah.." John B quietly said, interlocking his hand with Sarah's.

Sarah squeezed his hand back, but she never took her eyes off the scene in front of her.

"We got the gold but at what cost? Valera is dead. She's gone," Sarah said, tears streaming down her face

"I wasn't close to her like twins are supposed to be. I am her sister...was her sister..and.." Sarah was interrupted by John B.

"Sarah, look at me," Sarah looked at John B, her teary eyes met his own teary eyes.

"She is still your sister, no matter what, even in death, it never changes the fact that Valera is your sister, and," John B cupped the left side of Sarah's face

"And I know the two of you had some hard times, but she loved you." John B told her

Sarah let out a sob, and John B pulled her into a hug.

The funeral was nice, the flowers were the exact ones that Valera liked, but it was wrong.

It was all wrong, at least for Pope it was.

"...she's seventeen, today." He quietly said, but JJ and Kiara snapped their heads towards him.

"It's her birthday today." Pope said, and Kiara let out a small cry.

"Oh, God." Kiara whispered, and JJ blinked away his tears.

"..we planned a birthday surprise party, but we're attending her funeral instead." JJ said, his throat aching from how much he wanted to scream at the universe for taking his best friend.

Nobody said anything as the funeral went on, and soon people started to leave, but only a few stayed behind.

Sarah and John B went over to their friends as soon as everyone left.

Wheezie was still there, and her eyes widened when she saw Sarah, but her face crumpled, and she ran to her , crying, wrapping her arms around Sarah.

"You knew it was her birthday today, didn't you?" Pope asked, looking at Rafe, who sighed,

"She was gonna die either way today," Rafe replied, "plus, she forgot." He added, which nobody really caught, maybe except for a certain pair of brothers.

"You made her funeral on our birthday." Sarah quietly said, sniffling.

"Made it easier for dad to remember," Rafe responded with a small shrug

He looked at the pogues with a small glare.

"Don't drop any alcohol in her grave. You will join her if you ruin the flowers."

🌊

1166 words

Thoughts?