15 | Explanations are in Order

Lady Dahlia gasped quietly.

"My husband?"

What? Ilaria's head snapped up, eyes wide as she dropped to her knees off the couch.

Her mother stared back at her, eyes alert and sparkling. "My husband...is coming home?"

Tears welled in Ilaria's eyes as she nodded, quivering lips pressed together to keep in her sobs. Please, One above, let her stay like this.

Shaking hands reached.

Ilaria took them into her own, finally sobbing as she pressed kisses to her mother's knuckles. "Yes, Mama. He's coming home. He'll be with us again. It will be as it used to be."

It was as if the past few years melted away like fog in the morning sun. Her mother drew Ilaria into a tight hug, sliding out of the chair to kneel on the floor with her. "You've grown so much, little star."

A loud sob wracked Ilaria's body. Fingers dug into her mother's back, tightly squeezing her shawl's knitted fabric. It had been so long since her mother had been engaged in a conversation. It had been so long since her mother had acknowledged her. She felt like a child again, clinging to her mother after a nightmare.

"I'm sorry I wasn't around for you," her mother whispered, and her voice caught. "I have so much to explain."

Ilaria shook her head, fighting back her tears. "No! No. You have nothing to explain. I am so happy to have you again. I have missed you so much, Mama."

Cool hands with trembling fingers steadied themselves on the sides of her face. Her mother's watery eyes softened, dry lips quivering. "I owe you so much time, my dear." She turned to Lady Dahlia, a shaky breath escaping her. "Mother."

Lady Dahlia had never been one for sentiments. The older woman rose hastily to her feet, clearly stricken by the moment. "I will get us some tea."

Ilaria tried not to laugh, watching her grandmother run out of the room. She hugged her mother once again, eyes shut tightly. "I have missed you so much."

"Then allow me to explain what has happened." Her mother rubbed her back in soothing circles. "I should have told you a long time ago."

Sitting back on her legs, Ilaria tilted her head. "Tell me what?"

"Your father and I...well." The woman blew out a short breath. "Forgive me. It's been a while since I have spoken. Your father and I were bound to each other, so to speak. We—"

"You were soulmates." Ilaria didn't even need her mother to finish. The reality of it all came crashing down, clicking into place like a lost puzzle piece.

Her mother blinked, eyebrows lifted. "Why, yes. Well, not quite. How...?"

A rueful smile pulled at Ilaria's mouth. "It's a long story. Go on."

Her mother frowned, then gently shook her head. "We were not quite soulmates, though I guess you could say we fall into the bracket. We are what is called Fated. A step below soulmates. We knew from childhood that we were made for each other, bound to each other. We were lucky to be born in the same town. Others are not so lucky."

"So, is that why when you were separated..."

"Yes." Her mother nodded. "Fated are bound in more ways than just who we belong to. Our emotions and our thoughts are woven tightly together like a tapestry. What I go through, your father feels. What your father goes through, I feel. Being separated from him was like dying."

It all made sense now. Ilaria closed her eyes. What a wicked sense of humor the One had.

"I am so sorry we never told you," her mother whispered, fingers combing through Ilaria's hair. "I think we were trying to protect you...you are—"

"A soulmate." Ilaria opened her eyes, smiling sadly at her mother. "I know."

"...you do?"

"Yeah." She chuckled, gaze flicking past her mother's shoulder to find Lady Dahlia returning. "My soulmate is the one helping us get father back."

"Oh...oh my. Ilaria, if I had known..."

"Hush." She pulled herself to her feet and assisted her mother in sitting down on the couch. "Rest. It has been quite some time since you've had this much excitement. Drink your tea and eat some food. We have much to discuss and catch up on."