30 | A Change of Heart

Start from the beginning

If so, how much had she overheard?

Acting on fear and instinct, Luwen picked up her dress skirt and broke into a run, catching Biyu off guard, but she soon followed. Together, they gave chase, Luwen determined to catch the eavesdropper before she could tattletale to her master.

But what action could she take against the handmaid? Threaten and hurt her to make her seal her lips?

It would be a futile effort.

Turning around the corner, Luwen stumbled into Dai Yichen, who cut off her pursuit and caught her by her shoulders.

As promised, he had come looking for her after finishing his conversation with the clan lords.

"What's wrong?" He searched her face worriedly, before his gaze fell to the cloth wrapped around her wounded finger, now soaked in blood.

His eyes widened. "Who hurt you?" he demanded. "Tell me."

"N-no one. It was me. I hurt myself."

Luwen's voice shook, not out of fear towards him, but because she was panicking at the consequences of allowing the handmaid to escape. Her mind was in shambles, her anxiety rising, and she suddenly felt a rush of coldness in her body.

"What happened?" Dai Yichen looked across towards Biyu, demanding answers. "What's wrong with her?"

Biyu released a sigh and explained quickly. "It was the two older princesses. They ridiculed her, while she hurt herself while learning to play the zither. Afterwards, we got lost and chanced upon the High Priestess, who spoke to the lady in private and she came out looking unwell. I don't know what happened between them either."

Their heads swung back towards Luwen, who still looked rattled. This was the first time she lost her composure in front of them.

"It was the wine," she lied. She never had a sip during the banquet. "I feel lightheaded."

Dai Yichen stared at her, not buying her lies. He immediately bent down, placing a hand on her shoulder and under her knees, before swooping her up in his arms.

Luwen let out a cry of surprise, throwing her hands around his broad shoulders. Otherwise, she might fall off. She looked towards Biyu for help, but the latter simply shrugged her shoulders.

"Unfortunately, I'm as lost as a drunken man as well. Please lead the way back to our rooms, my lord."

Dai Yichen raised a brow, pointedly. "Shall I get Yerong to carry you back too?"

Her cheeks reddened immediately. "No! I'll find my way back. You two have a good night!"

Biyu scampered off, leaving them behind. He began walking them back slowly to their guest room, the silence between them stretching out. Luwen couldn't look at him.

It was clear he drove Biyu away on purpose because he wanted to be alone with her.

He had questions for her.

However, he wasn't asking yet. As soon as they arrived in their guest room, he set her on the bed and brought out a healing salve. His touch was gentle as he unwrapped the cloth from her bloodied finger.

"Does it hurt?"

"No." She shook her head. "It was my fault."

"Their fault," he corrected angrily. "Never hurt yourself again for such people. Do you hear me?"

Luwen bit her bottom lip, feeling a strange sensation rippling through her chest. "I promise."

He cleaned her wound, applied medicine, and carefully bandaged it. "Do you need my help removing the silver hairpins from your hair before bed?"

She inhaled sharply, feeling the warmth of embarrassment invading her neck and cheeks. She knew he was considerate when he asked, especially given her injured hand.

He interpreted her silence as a refusal of his help. "It's fine," he said. "I'll go get Biyu to help you instead–"

When he moved away, Luwen reached out with trembling fingers, grasping the edge of his sleeve to stop him from leaving.

"Will you help me?"

The vulnerable tone in her voice made his expression soften in an instant. She was heavily exhausted, both physically and mentally, but she yearned for his company. Not others.

Just tonight, she thought. She would be greedy.

After all, she didn't know what chaos tomorrow might bring.

Being the chivalrous lord he was, Dai Yichen tended to her carefully and respectfully. He plucked the hair accessories from her intricate hairdo, unraveled the little side-braids, and combed through her hair to detangle the knots. Her thick, luscious hair cascaded down her back.

"You're doing well," she praised.

Through the mirror, she noticed a small smile on his lips. "I've dried and combed my mother's hair a few times in the past."

It was always endearing to hear him speak about his mother. "She must be incredibly proud of you."

With him running his fingers through her hair pleasantly, Luwen shivered, which didn't go unnoticed by him.

"Are you cold?"

She wrapped her hands around her chest. "My lord? Can I ask for another request?"

"Yes."

"Can you hold me until I go to sleep?"

She felt him go rigid, startled by her unexpectedly bold request. They would usually sleep in the same bed, but with ample distance between them and never touching.

Tonight was different.

He set down the wooden comb on the dresser and returned to her side. He bent down to remove her shoes and carry her legs onto the bed, tucking her into bed.

Then came his arms, strong and sinewy, wrapped around her frame. Her hands pressed against his chest, her face tucked right under his chin. They fitted well together; he was tall and broad, while she was small and delicate.

He gently touched the back of her head.

"Go to sleep and forget about what happened today," he coaxed. "I'm right here with you."

His warmth comforted her and stopped her trembles. Soon, she felt her eyelids growing heavy and her sleepiness drawing closer. A strayed tear trailed down her cheek.

This was a dream she never wanted to wake from.

A/N: I've deprived you guys from meeting our ML for a while, so hopefully this chapter makes up for everything! 💙