Chapter 55-Purpose

Varay Pov

The cold morning breeze ran through my white hair as I looked over the beach. A large tower stood to my right, acting as the main command post for Etistin beach where the Alacryan ships are expected to make landfall.

The waves of the sea grew and crashed, creating a soothing background noise that was drowned out by the people down below. The labored hard, fortifying defenses and building up barracks for the battle to come.

The Alacryan ships were still several weeks out, but Grey- King Grey has issued a direct order to begin preparations. Any nobles and even the council seemed unsure of his decision to focus so much of our focus to a single region but they all bit their tongues and obeyed.

While the common-folk seemed a bit more accepting of our new monarch many nobles and royal families seemed to be the complete opposite. But none dare challenge the new king's military might.

The only people who seemed to be open to him were the dwarves. But that made sense with them being under his rule the longest. And it is said that his main production centers for his war effort are located in and around the capital city of Darv.

It would be one thing to have a person who was a wanted criminal not too long ago come along and seize the throne himself but the soldiers he deployed were something else entirely.

Legions of warriors donning jet-black armor, each moving with such precision and efficiency they seemed more like machines than organic beings.

It wouldn't surprise me that they were actual golems of some kind Grey controlled. But the stranger thing was that he rarely deployed them in large numbers despite having enough of them to handily deal with the Alacryan invaders.

He sparingly used them if at all. And when he did he would often personally take to the field to lead them personally.

An approaching mana signature drew me away from my thoughts. Lance Bairon floated up to me as he surveyed the beach.

"Does Grey believe he can order us around as if we are mere game pieces? Having two Lances here is a waste."

I eyed my comrade. Among the Lances he was the one who took the new king rule the worst. Which was understandable with having his brother killed by him. But Bairon was always the emotional type, quick to anger and allowed his feelings to control him. Something I knew that could cost him dearly in the upcoming battles if he didn't keep his feelings in check.

"We may as well be, in his eyes. And he is still our king. No matter your personal feelings you are to address him with respect." I said, thinking back to our sparring session with the newly crowned king.

He called it a small spar. But it was more akin to a one-sided beating to show his own personal strength more than anything. Four Lances against one man. And we didn't even get him to break a sweat. I feared for what he was capable of when he was forced to.

Bairon sneered, wrinkling his facial features. I could feel the hair on my skin slowly rise as the air became charged with electricity.

"Calm yourself. You are still a Lance and your men look up to you for guidance and leadership." I reminded my fellow Lance. We were still soldiers at the end of the day. And igniting a civil war when there is an unknown enemy at our doorstep felt like a foolish idea.

Bairon still hung in the air for a moment. The air charged with static electricity that made both of our hairs rise. His face twisted into a sneer, he did very little to hide his disdain for Grey and the council's decision to have him be king.