Chapter 05

"Oh my god," I hear, faintly, and I feel warmth across my fingertips.

"Thank you so much, this, I can't even put it to words how revolting this is."

My mind soothes, and I'm back in the forest.

"Hello?" I call out, the trees are all now rigid, straight, and no longer looming over me.

The sun shines into the forest, which is something I've never seen before.

"Anastasia." Ruby calls my name, and I turn to find her with her hands in her pockets.

She walks closer to me, her cheek brushing against mine as she whispers;

"Next time, listen to me when I tell you to run." She walks away, and I frantically try to chase her, but the light starts to fall into the forest, getting brighter, until the only thing I see is a bright light above me on a white ceiling.

"Oh darling," my mum cooed, holding me in her arms as I wake up on, a hospital bed?

"What happened?" I mumble, a shooting pain appearing in my head.

"This boy, from your college, he tried to assault you Anastasia, sexually and physically. He's in custody now, but he managed to knock you unconscious." I hesitate, rubbing my head, wincing in slight pain.

"Who stopped it, I mean, I can't remember what happened after he pushed me into a wall, how did I get here?" I start getting angry, but also emotional because I hate not knowing a single thing.

My mum shifted, and I see Ruby sleeping uncomfortably in one of the chairs.

"She found you, she was looking at property in the area, and saw what was going on, she knocked him unconscious and called the police and an ambulance." Mum smiled, looking over at her.

"she hasn't left here since, she's been so worried about you, and so have I, Ana, you're lucky to have a friend like that." She kissed my forehead before retreating out the door to tell the doctors I'm awake.

"Yeah, I am very lucky." I mumble to myself, sitting up slowly, as my brain feels like it's rattling in my skull.

I carefully swing my legs off the bed, and stand up.

"Ruby?" I touch her shoulder, and she squints open an eye, running her fingers through her hair.

"Shit, Anastasia, what are you doing out of bed?" She suddenly gets up, and trails a finger across my jaw line as she inspects me.

I laugh softly before rolling my eyes.

I got knocked out, that's all, I can walk, dummy, my head just hurts." She lets out a sigh of relief, before sitting back down.

"I almost killed him," she murmurs, and I raise an eyebrow.

"Danny?"

"Yes, i heard struggle and ran over to see what it was, I saw you, and then I saw him unbuckling his pants and that was enough for me to want to beat the living shit out of him." She clenched her jaw, looking down at the floor.

"Ruby," I sigh.

I lean down to her, attempting to give her a hug but I fall, and I'm now straddling her on her lap.

Her hands grip my waist lightly, as her emerald eyes meet mine. She looks down at my lips, her grip suddenly tightening softly on my waist as I inhale her intoxicating cologne.

I go to speak, but the door to the room opens and I launch off her lap and back into bed.

What the fuck, was that.

"So yeah, she's awake!" My mum chirps, and the doctor comes over to me and inspects me.

I look over at Ruby and she's biting her plump bottom lip, breathing deeply, her knuckles against her chin.

"Miss Prentice, you're available for release today. I've given your mum some tablets to take to ease the pain, it'll take a while to get back into the hang of things, so for now, take it easy." He smiles, giving my mum a light rub on the back before walking out.

Time to go home.