Chapter Four

Three years later

Three years had passed since that first day at Hogwarts, and Tom and Cassandra's rivalry had escalated into an academic war. The two always tied for the highest grades in their classes and were almost constantly at each other's throats. Neither was willing to let the other surpass them in any way. The teachers knew nothing of the battle raging between their two best students, for Cassandra and Tom both kept up the appearance of being charming, thoughtful, polite, and studious students, who always turned their work in on time and wouldn't think of breaking a single school rule. Nothing they saw could have been further from their true personalities.

Cassandra was sitting at a table in the library, trying to complete an essay for Charms. She was swamped in homework. Apparently, even though it would be a full year before they would take their O.W.L. exams, the teachers had to act as though the tests were just around the corner, rather than eighteen months away. She was so focused on her work that she didn't even notice someone was standing near her until they cleared their throat impatiently. Looking up, Cassandra saw Tom Riddle in front of her.

"Something you need, Riddle?" She asked.

Tom sneered. "Well I obviously wouldn't be talking to you if I didn't. I need that book." he said the last sentence like an order as he nodded towards the book on top of the stack next to Cassandra.

"Well if you ask me like that I'm not giving it to you. Say please." Cassandra retorted.

Tom took a deep breath, then let it all out in an attempt to stay calm. "Fine. Could I please have that book?"

Cassandra grinned. "No. I'm still using it."

Tom looked ready to curse her when she said that, but managed to refrain from doing so. "Do you know that you are absolutely infuriating?" he said through gritted teeth.

"Why yes, actually. Nothing brings me more happiness than how easily I get under your skin."

Tom clenched his jaw, making a couple veins pop out on his neck. "You're just doing this to mess with me, aren't you? You don't even really need the book. How will a book on magical creatures help you with your charms essay, hm?" Sighing, Cassandra handed him the book and he walked away with a triumphant smirk on his face.

~

Cassandra was in the common room with Elodie and Druella later that night, in an argument about quidditch with Druella.

"I really just don't see what all the hype is about," Cassandra said, shaking her head at Druella.

"Don't understand? Cassandra, It's a brilliant sport!" Druella exclaimed. "It's amazing to watch the players on their brooms. I only wish I was good enough to play on the team like Elodie."

 Elodie was the seeker for their house quidditch team, and she was amazing. Cassandra could count the number of times she hadn't caught the snitch during the game on one hand. More precisely, two fingers.

The first time had been in their second year, when Elodie had been hit in the head with a bludger. The Slytherin team's reserve seeker was not nearly as good as Elodie, so Fleamont Potter, the Gryffindor seeker, had caught the snitch.

The second time was the previous year during a storm that was better described as a near hurricane. It was pure luck that the snitch had flown into the mouth of Hufflepuff's seeker.

"I just have better things to do with my weekends, alright?" Cassandra muttered.

"Like what, studying?" Druella shot back.

"Exactly," Cassandra grinned. "It's not that I don't support Elodie, I do, but I just don't find it interesting to watch people fly around on broomsticks and toss balls to one another. I know Elodie is an absolutely fantastic seeker, and I couldn't be more proud of her, but quidditch just isn't my favorite thing."