12: the mirror of the heart

Rivan ran his hand through his hair as he sat in the waiting room of Minister Melinda's house.
He'd been waiting a long time. After much probing and bickering, he'd managed to convince the head of prison affairs to let him see Melinda.
He brought out his pocket watch and checked the time, he'd have to be at work soon but he was determined to meet Melinda before he left.

He fiddled with his pocket watch.
After a while, he sprung from his seat as he heard footsteps coming down the stairs and put away his watch.

Melinda came in, she seemed well, there was no sign of mistreatment but she'd lost the colour in her face and the spark in her eyes.
She took her seat not bothering to greet her visitor.

"I would have visited earlier but access is abysmally minimal"

"I am being imprisoned after all. It won't make sense to just be able to dily dally about" she noted

"Are you well, is there something that bothers you" he managed to ask but was shocked when Melinda let out a soft chuckle

"That's what you want me to say...to you, because that's how you feel." Melinda knew that she was being disrespectful to a friend but she didn't have many choices. It wasn't like she was in a position that permitted her to be sunshine and rainbows.

Rivan cleared his throat "I talked to someone recently and they made me understand that I had the veil of trust preventing me from understanding reality and while I believe I have every reason to blindly trust you, I still hold connection to basic critical thinking aptitude...and I sense foul play with you"

Melinda stared for a while "what do you mean?"

"It's either hypocrisy or dishonesty. When I met you, you strongly criticized the work of the Harbinger, while I understood that you were greatly affected by the newspaper's feed because of personal reasons when you revealed yourself to be the owner, I wad taken aback and it even annoyed me"

"I sat down to think and it safe to say, you were never the owner or co-owner of Harbinger, but you were personally affiliated with Qaya the original owner. Which has led me to deduce that you are greatly involved in her murder"

Melinda opened her mouth to speak. She was frightened greatly by his discovery and the apathy she earlier exhibited began to elude her. Rivan was someone who looked up to her and had made plenty sacrifices. He was such a selfless man always ready to give and never demanding anything in return. If he left her side, she couldn't recover from losing such importance.

Rivan cut her short before she could confess "do not feel insulted, I did not mean to insinuate that you are the culprit...whilst I feel that you've strayed, murder is such a long way" he clarified

Melinda nodded, she agreed with him. She wasn't a horrible monster and she'd never kill someone, everyone could vouch for her. If she was to turn bad, it would be by doing other things...how can someone has kind as her just go straight to killing someone....if only she could still say this. Why did she kill Qaya? And why doesn't she regret it even with all the trouble it's causing?

"Ms. Charmale" Rivan tapped her "why are you quiet? Answer me"

Melinda smiled, she would have to clear any doubt in his mind, Rivan must not think her a murderer.

"You're right" she finally managed to say

"What?" Rivan asked confused but their discussion would have to come to an end, the king himself entered into the room.

The both of them got up to greet him but he stopped them
"I am not here as the king but head of investigation I have come to interrogate prime suspect, Melinda"