𝟶𝟶𝟺: 𝙽𝙾 𝙼𝙰𝙽 𝙸𝚂 𝙰𝙽 𝙸𝚂𝙻𝙰𝙽𝙳 (𝙿𝙰𝚁𝚃 𝟷)

The entrance to the arena can be found hidden behind an old vending machine near the back exit

The entrance to the arena can be found hidden behind an old vending machine near the back exit. Without the special keycard, it's just like any other vending machine. It sold all kinds of snacks from Hydrocrisps to Bionutrix bars and all the flavors of Fizz you can think of.

Fizz. Arcadia's second best invention and main export. The first time I've ever tasted Fizz, I was wired for days. I spent a whole week in my lab tweaking EMP grenades, forgetting to eat or shower. Gross, I know. The caffeine content on those things were questionably high. It's no wonder why they're banned in most countries.

I swipe the key card Spud handed me, and the door slides open. As I step inside, it shuts behind me with a soft click. Instantly, the air thickens with the scent of smoke and spilled Wanzu. It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the dimly lit surroundings. The arena stands in stark contrast to the bustling streets outside. Here, the atmosphere crackles with anticipation, the air heavy with the scent of sweat and excitement.

"Kindergarten is that way, kid."

I glance up at the familiar face blocking my path and shake my head. "Let me through, Mouse."

The gruff, tattooed man in front of me chuckles heartily. "Just messin' with ya, Tessaract, Come on in."

I follow Mouse through the crowd, weaving between people and tech repair stalls. He leads me to my small spot in the corner and already I can see a couple of people lined up to get their tech fixed.

"So, you left Genesis, huh?" Mouse asks as we walk.

The question catches me off guard. "Huh? Uh, yeah."

"Why?"

I shrug, trying to play it cool. "Just wasn't for me, I guess."

Mouse clicks his tongue in sympathy. "Sucks. Heard they made it to the semifinals after you split."

I try not to show too much interest. "Hmm. Good for them."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were the one holding the group back." He jokes.

And if I didn't know any better, I would kick you in the shin. I think to myself. But that's just the kind of person that Mouse is and it's useless to get mad at him.

I suppress a sigh. "Let's chat about that some other time. I have customers to attend to."

With that, I turn my attention to the line, ready to dive into my work.

---

"Yup, just as suspected. The transducer on this thing is broken," I remark, flipping the switch on the sonic gun to no avail.

"Great, just what we needed before the match," my customer grumbles, peering over my shoulder.

"Don't worry," I assure him, my fingers swiftly probing the device to diagnose the issue. "I can fix it, but it'll take some time."

"How much time?" He presses, urgency evident in his tone.

I inspect the intricate wiring inside the weapon, mentally assessing the repair process and estimating the cost. "I'd say about an hour, maybe less if I can bypass the damaged circuit."

The fighter lets out a sigh, frustration evident as he runs a hand through his hair. "An hour? Lady, this is the 5th time my weapon's broken, and every damn time it breaks, I bring it to your shop. You better not be scamming me out of my money or else!"

I nod, understanding this frustration. "I assure you it's no scam, I'll get it fixed as quickly as I can."

He grumbles something under his breath before reluctantly stepping back. "Fine. Just make it quick. The match starts soon, and I can't afford any more setbacks."

I acknowledge his concern with a curt nod and get to work, meticulously examining the transducer and the surrounding circuitry. To be completely honest, I wasn't sure why his Sonic Blaster kept breaking either. Everything I used to repair it was brand new. Fresh circuitry, fresh wires, bolts, everything. Hell, I'm probably the only mechanic in this place who fixes tech using new parts. I may not look like it, but I take great pride in my work.

With practiced precision, I begin the delicate process of repairing the damaged components, my focus honed on the task at hand. I try to flip the switch a couple more times. On the third try, the sonic gun flickers to life for a brief 5 seconds before crashing again.

"You overrode the circuit."

A familiar voice startles me out of my focus. I jump at the sudden noise, turning to see the same curly-hair and black tank top I ran into earlier at the shop. It's Zeal.

"Those wires. They're nanosteel, right?" he inquires, his gaze fixed on the intricate circuitry.

I nod, momentarily taken aback by his sudden appearance. "Y-yeah, they are."

"Mind if I take a look?" he asks, leaning in closer to inspect the wiring.

"N-not at all. Go ahead," I stutter, feeling a flush creep up my cheeks as he studies the tech.

Zeal continues his examination, his expertise evident in the way he handles the delicate components. Our eyes briefly meet, and I quickly look away, hoping to conceal my embarrassment.

"I see what's going on here," Zeal remarks, his tone calm and authoritative. "You're not supposed to use nanosteel wires on an old circuit board like this. It'll overheat and cause damage over time."

"Oh," I respond, my face falling as the realization sinks in.

How could I have missed something so basic? I feel a wave of stupidity wash over me.

"If you don't have any graphene, carbon nanotubes should work," Zeal adds, his voice reassuring. "Most of the tech used for fighting here is made out of old, recycled parts, so you should be careful. Nanosteel is expensive stuff, and not everything needs an upgrade."

I nod again, grateful for his advice but feeling a bit sheepish about my newfound oversight.

"Aren't you the mechanic of the Blue Diavlos?" my customer interjects, curiosity piqued. "I swear I could have seen you on television that one time."

"Haha, not really," Zeal replies modestly. "That was just a side gig. I was just shadowing someone." He turns to me with a friendly smile.

"Good to see you walking on all twos instead of crawling on the floor."

"U-uhm... About earlier, thank you"

"The glasses thing? Don't mention it." he smiles and waves it off.

"Where's the girl? You know, from the bottle?"

"Bottle?" he asks, a little confused. "You mean Jet?"

Before I could finish speaking, Jet pops up from right behind me, sipping on what seemed to be a juice box. "Right here. Went to go get one of these," she says, interrupting.

"There you are, banchou," teases Zeal.

"Shut up," she hits him on the chest with her free hand. "I see you made a new friend."

"My name is Tessa. Nice to meet you."

"Jet," she nods in my direction, stares at my face for a bit then squints. "You look strangely familiar, Tessa."

I gulp. 

"Forgive me for what I'm about to say...

...but you're not from Teppen, are you?"