Feeling a presence near her, Leher turned to her right slowly only to see her husband's face two inches away from her face.

Her breath was stuck in her throat while he froze in his position forgetting he was driving a car.

Leher's eyes slowly went up to his hair that she always dreamt of combing with her fingers and later saw his deep brown eyes.

His eyes held something that she couldn't describe and wanted to avoid.

While Leher was busy admiring him, Abhi was busy looking at the beauty mark below her lips.

Why did I never notice that? He thought to himself and scanned the rest of her face.

Her wheatish skin shined under the sunlight while her dark brown eyes turned light brown under it.

"Beautiful," he accidentally said it out as a whisper.

"K-kya?" Leher managed to say those words even though she heard them alright, making Abhi come out of his trance. 

"Nothing, nothing," panic was evident in his voice as he distanced himself from her.

"I was just adjusting the rear view mirror as you were not answering," he explained his reason for being so close.

Leher pressed her lips together and nodded her head.

~~~~~~

Almost two hours later, no word was said after that incident. Abhi's whole focus was on the road and Leher was busy imagining her life as different non living things.

"Abhi," she called him in a sleepy voice.

"Hmm?"

"How far is it now?"

"Sirf two hours more and we'll be there." He glanced at her sleepy figure and looked back the road.

"Oh, I'll drive now then," she was ready to remove her seatbelt but Abhi held her hand to stop her actions.

"Have you looked at yourself? You are so sleepy. Sleep now and it's only two hours. I can manage." He replied looking at her state.

She hummed as a response while Abhi tried to continue the conversation.

"Waise, it's been two years since I visited my village. I'll show you around if you want," he rubbed her palm that he didn't let go without his knowledge.

He waited for her to respond and turned to the side to see his wife peacefully sleeping.

He saw his intertwined fingers with his wife. A strange feeling hit him.

I've never held her hand like this. He thought to himself while unconsciously holding her hand tighter.

He had never held any woman's hand romantically after his late girlfriend's death and never expected him to have this feeling again.

"I made you suffer a lot, didn't I?" He spoke to himself as everyone was fast asleep.

"I had let you down because of my problem," he sighed and looked at the steering wheel wanting to punch it but didn't want to let go off his wife's hand.

"I tried to move on. I swear I did. I didn't want to spoil someone's life because of my suffering but I guess I did. I did hurt you a lot." He looked at her again to take a clearer view of her now closed eyes.

"The first day of our marriage, I wanted to tell you to get lost and get all my anger out at you but you were our family friend so I didn't have the guts to," he sadly smiled and looked back at the road.

"But I was brave enough to tell you that we'd divorce after some time. Dumb me, right?" He said air quoting the word.

"I want to finally let go of my past now, Leher. I want you to be the woman that I cherish for my whole life. It might sound impossible to the newly married Abhi but now I believe that I can change." He convinced his mind and was positive about it.

"Aakriti was my first love but she left for a better place. I want to find my better place too. It's not selfish, right?" He asked her knowing she couldn't reply.

"It will be awkward in the start, Leher but please let me continue my tries. I want to just find the right way to get you and the way I can find love in your heart." His other hand let go of the steering to wipe his misty eyes.

"Promise to let me win you. I promise to treat you right. I promise to be there for. I'll always be the reason for your happy tears and I'll never let you down. Please promise to help me. I'm ready for your help now. Please help me, Leher," all his emotions poured out at once.

The emotions that he couldn't tell Leher while facing her.

He didn't expect an answer as she was in a deep slumber but wanted assurance.

Leher, who Abhi thought was asleep, slowly lifted her pinky finger with her right hand which was intertwined with Abhi's left hand.

Her finger was raised as a sign of securing their promise and never breaking it but Abhi was shocked at her gesture.

A shocked Abhi looked back from her pinky to her closed eyes as he thought she wasn't listening to him.

"Are you awake?" A soft whisper left his mouth as he felt embarrassed.

She didn't reply but still kept her finger in the same position.

He untangled their fingers and locked his pinky finger with hers.

Leher turned her head towards the window with her eyes still closed trying to act like she was still asleep and suppressed a bright smile. 

Abhi let out an embarrassed smile and diverted his attention to the road, with their fingers still locked tight together.

Promise secured, Leher. A relief spread through him.