"Fucking mated dragons," Dain hisses.

Liam turns around, meets my eyes and smirks at me. "What, disappointed you can't kill me now?"

Before I can even respond he turns back to Fitzgibbon, listening to the remainder of the announcements. Killing him was never my goal, but I've been holding a grudge since the day he called a truce on that spar. I'm starting to think we weren't paired together since then on purpose.

Look at the bright side, now that he's in your squad you'll have more opportunities to challenge him. Even if it's just for practice. Beliz breaks through.

"You're not helping," I spit.

'What's going on with Pancheck?" Rhiannon asks, pulling me out of my head. "It has to be big if he's fumbling with a Codex up there,"

"Quite." Dain orders her. Then he starts bickering with Violet in a hushed tone. I can only make out small bits, but it seems he's one of the last people in our squad to know about last night.

"It has been brought to my attention as your commander that a breach of the Codex has occurred," Panchek calls out. "As you know, breaches of our most sacred laws are not to be tolerated. This matter will be addressed here and now. Will the accuser please step forward."

"Shit is going down." Ridoc snorts.

"Think Ridoc has finally got caught in Tyvon Varen's bed?" Rhiannon laughs.

"That's hardly against the codex," Ridoc murmurs.

"He is the executive officer for Second wing." I quip, earning a stomp on the foot from him.

"And?" Ridoc shrugs, grinning with no shame. "Fraternising with command is frowned upon, not unlawful."

"I miss sex." Violet sighs, turning forwards.

"If you're looking for a little fun, I'm happy to oblige-" Ridoc starts, raking his hair back and winking. I'm unfortunate enough to know that the same exact move has worked on one to many people here.

"I miss good sex," She counters.

"Welcome to the crew." I roll my eyes.

"Besides, apparently you're spoken for." Violet says to Ridoc.

"We're not exclusive," Ridoc counters. "It's like Rhiannon and what's-her-name..."

"Tara," Rhi offers.

"Plus, don't tell me you want to become like Saeri. Look at her," He motions to me. It's my turn to stomp on his foot. "See! All angry and shit." He raises his voice.

"Will you all shut the hell up?" Dain barks.

I turn back toward the Dais, happy that the conversation was cut off. Xaden now stands on the podium.

"Early this morning," he begins, "a rider in my wing was brutally, illegally attacked in her sleep with the intent of murder by a group primarily composed of unbondeds."

I should have known this was about Violet the moment I saw Xaden up there.

"As we all know, this is a violation of Article three,section two of the Dragon rider's Codex and, in addition to being dishonourable, is a capital offence. Having been alerted by my dragon, I interrupted the attack along with two other fourth wing riders." He drops his chin towards Garrick and Bhodi, who break from formation and begin to climb the steps to stand behind Xaden. "As it was a matter of life and death, I personally executed six of the would-be murderers, as witnessed by Flame section leader Garrick Tavis and Tail section Officer Bohdi Durran." Xaden pauses. 'But the attack was orchestrated by a rider who fled before I arrived. A rider who had access to the map of where all first-years are assigned to sleep, and that rider must be brought to swift justice. I call you to answer for your crimes against Cadet Sorrengail, Wingleader Amber Mavis."

The squeaky bitch?

"Wingleaders. We need a quorum." 

All the wingleaders slowly make their way up to the dias, each hesitantly following the other.

Chaos fills the air, and we all look toward the ridgeline as seven dragons curve along the mountain, flying straight for us. I spot Beliz taking a spot right behind Tarin, no doubt out of respect to him, otherwise he'd be here already. 

But why is he coming? I played no part in this.

In a matter of seconds, they reach the citadel and hover over the courtyard walls. Wind from the strong beats of their wings blast through the courtyard sweeping dust up. One by one they land on a perch. Tarin ,Beliz, Sgaeyl, Nyra's scorpiontail, a brown daggertail, Pancheck's green clubtail, and Ambers dragon. I make eye contact with beliz but I'm interrupted before I can speak to him

"You're using this to get your revenge on my family!" Amber shouts at Xaden. "For not supporting your father's rebellion!"

That's ridiculous. Her sheer panic is making her resort to stupid shit like this. I've never had anything against the rebellion, not only because a rebellion doesn't start for no reason, but because I'm Tyrrish from my mothers side. It's not something I tell people and I don't plan to. She fell in love with my father a few years before the rebellion and moved in with him, meaning they didn't search for her when they started recruiting supporters. Crazy to think that if dad moved there instead I would be one of the rebellion kids. I glance over to Liam. I would have known him.

Suddenly a vision flashes through my head, and I tense, looking over at Violet.

"The wingleaders have formed a quorum and are in unanimous agreement," Xaden announces. "We find you guilty, Amber Mavis."

"No!" She shrieks. "It is no crime to rid the quadrant of the weakest rider! I did it to protect the integrity of the wings!" She paces in panic, looking to everyone-anyone for help.

All the squads shift backwards. Before Violet bonded Tarin people would have agreed, but now no one would dare make a move against her, because that means moving against Tarin.

"And as is our law, your sentence will be carried out by fire," one of the female wingleaders state.

"No!" Amber looks to her dragon. "Claidh!"

Her dragon snarls at the others lifting a claw. A loud roar erupts as Tarin swivels his head towards Claidh, then he snaps his teeth at her making her retreat, head hanging.

It's cruel. Not towards Amber but for her dragon.

"Claidh," Amber whimpers, the courtyard unnervingly silent.

The formation splits at the centre. Tarin leans low parting his teeth and incinerates her in a second.

A gruesome scream pierces the air, shattering a window in the academic wing, everyone slams their hand over their ears as Claidh mourns.