Nightmares ((Final) Part 2)

Y/N watches as Loki hesitantly climbs back into bed, then gets under the covers beside him. His weight sets a deep dip in the mattress and she lets herself fall into it gladly, her body pressed against his side.

His green irises blink at her from his pillow as she props herself up on one elbow over him.

Softly, she touches a fingertip to the dark patch below his left eye and draws it up, over the fluffiness of his dark eyebrow. Then, slowly, back down, completing the circle and starts again, up, around, down.

He blinks up at her. The muscles in his face are visibly relaxing, his tight frown almost sinking into a weak, sleepy smile. His chest rises and then falls in a deep sigh. "...What are you doing?"

Y/N grins bashfully. "Giving your face a little massage. I thought it might help relax you."

"It is helping. I like it."

 In a way she hopes is soothing, Y/N continues her circles, crossing over his forehead, trying to smooth the lines scoured across them over the past few years.

After six drawings of invisible spectacles—dipping every now and again to enjoy the slight gritty stubble beginning to speckle his jaw---Loki's eyelids begin to grow heavy.

Slowly, he lets them droop closed.

They're only shut for a moment, then they snap open again, a crease forming between his eyebrows.

Y/N smoothes it with a kiss, and sighs, giving him a lopsided smile. "Okay?"

"Yes. I just don't think I'll be able to sleep yet."

Y/N presses her lips together. She doesn't want to sleep yet, either. She doesn't want to close her eyes, his cries fresh in her mind. She doesn't want to lie in the dark on her pillow, those sounds echoing about the darkness.

She blinks, giving her head a little shake resolutely as if to physically shake the thoughts out. "That's okay. We can stay up all night if you want to."

Reaching up, he cups her face in one large hand, stroking the pad of his thumb tenderly over her cheek. 

Despite everything, in that moment it feels as though he's comforting her, holding her in that masculine way.

Y/N can't help pushing her head into his palm like a cat.

It makes him smile. "That's very thoughtful, my darling, but please, I want you to get some sleep."

"We should both get some sleep." She thinks for a moment. "How about I make you a warm drink?"

He seems to perk up a little. "The one with the honey?"

"Whatever you want, darling."

Despite everything, his cheeks go the slightest shade of pink.

They always do when she calls him that.

Every time.

"That sounds nice, thank you."

...

Outside, New York glimmers, never sleeping, each lit window, each neon sign and billboard a tiny pinprick on the night.

In their little kitchenette, Y/N heats some milk in a pan over the hob.

Standing behind her, his chin on her shoulder, Loki watches as she unscrews the promised jar of honey and submerges the dipper.