:🍃: mothers

will byers 🎨
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

(1 week ago, Monday, 8:35 PM)

My mom once told me that studying, writing or drawing in the dark isn't good for your eyes. But here I am, sitting on a rich-people-wooden swing in the park across from my new house, drawing. Drawing my own house, and the one next to it. Mason's. And now, also Mike's.

Karen is getting married in a week. Mike isn't very happy about it, even though me and the rest of the party tried to convince him a million times. I know, that deep down he is happy, but he's also confused. Mike doesn't like Mason. At all.

"You look lonely, will you be my friend?" a voice came from behind me, a very familiar voice. "I'm back in time" i dramatically replied, turning around to see the person. "You know you could've played along" he said. "But I didn't Michael, what are you doing out here so late?" I asked him, and he walked over to stand in front of me.

"Scoot over" he started, I moved over to make space for him as he sat down, lightly swinging the swing, "I was going to your house but, I saw you here" he said and I closed my sketchbook, "did you need anything?" I asked.

"To talk" he said, I looked over to him, his eyes were fixed on his new home. "Is everything okay?" I asked, "I'm scared, I'm basically starting a new life now, my mom and my sisters are like new people, they've changed, and me... I'm stuck, just the way I was" he said, taking a deep breath at the end of that sentence.

"I like the way you are" I said, shit. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Who am I kidding, this is Michael Wheeler, I could tell him that I like him and he would still be oblivious. He chuckled, "I like the way you are too, you know, but I mean, I feel like, I'm not a part of my family anymore" he said, looking over to me, and intertwining our hands. I guess this was normal for us now.

"Mike, trust me, you've changed a bit too you know, for the better. You're not that stupid anymore" I said, holding back a laugh. "Haha, you're so funny" he said, his usual sarcastic self returning.

"Well, look at it this way, we can start over! We both have new dads, and new sisters" I said, trying to cheer him up, "you mean more sisters? I already have 2, now I have 4" Mike said, clearly not so enthusiastic about this. "But, I guess, yeah, it's better this way" he finished, looking away.

Then he looked at me, grinned, looked away, and pushed the swing way too hard, so hard that it lost its balance and swung freely. "Oh my god Michael!" I yelled while he laughed. He rested his head on my shoulder, "we should go inside, it's late" I said, trying to distract myself. "Stay over" he said.

He says that a lot. Mike and I have had endless amount of sleepovers since we made up, just like old times. Mike always asks me to stay over whenever he's feeling down, and usually I say yes, but this time it was too late. I've only said yes to stay over this late one time, and that was when we saw the front light of his house flicker. It was honestly funny, we knew that the upside down was gone.

"It's too late Mike, my mom won't allow me" I told him. "No more vine-world Will, and we'll hold hands" he said, laughing at the end of the sentence. I chuckled, "my mom will freak out" it's not like I didn't want to go, he's just being extra flirty today. He's been like that all month. Sometimes I feel like he actually likes me, but maybe it's just Mike being Mike.

"Please" he pleaded, "your house is right there, we can tell your mom, it's only 8:48, if we go now we'll be home before 9" I leaned my head on his, taking a deep breath. "Fine" I said, and almost immediately, he got up, again, making the swing shake, "Mike!" I scolded him. "Shit. Sorry. Come on, come on, come on," he said, practically jumping. I got up, and before I could even put my pencil in my pocket he started running, I think he forgot we were holding hands.

"I swear to god" I said, trying to keep up with him. "I told you we have to run!" He said laughing. About 10 seconds later we were at my front door. "You're annoying, you know that?" I said, trying to catch my breath, "and you're cute, you know that?" he said.

What. Huh. What. Cute. What. What. What. Huh?

"What?" I said, finally coming back to my senses. "What?" he repeated, "El and Max call each other cute all the time" he shrugged, and knocked the door. Does this boy not realize? Hopper answered the door, "ew... what do you want?" he cringed. "Your son" Mike replied.

"Oh my god, Hop, I'm gonna stay over at Mike's, is that okay?" I asked him, pushing Mike out if the way, hearing him scoff behind me. Hopper eyed Mike, and then me, and let his hand out, gesturing me for the sketchbook in my hand. "Alright, I'll tell your mom," he said. I handed him the sketchbook, "thanks Hop, bye!" I said, "yeah thanks Hoppy" Mike said and skipped to the road, "I told you not to call me that!" Hopper yelled, "got it Hoppy!" Mike teased and I shook my head, following him to the road.

"Why are you both like this?" I asked him, "hey, he started it, not me" he replied, holding my hand again. "Seriously?" I laughed, looking over to him as we started walking, "yep" he replied, proudly smiling.

About 6 minutes later we were at Mike's house. Almost everything was packed, just a few things were kept outside. "Oh hey Will" Karen said, coming out of the kitchen with a box, "hey, Mrs. W- uhm, yeah I don't know what you use" I said. It's probably weird to call her a Wheeler now, honestly it's weird to call any of them a Wheeler now. "Just call me Karen, I didn't know you were coming over" she said, placing the box down.

"Yeah it was sort of last minute" I replied, looking over to Mike, he just rolled his eyes at me. "Got it, and Mike are you finished with the basement?" She asked, her smile dropping to a serious look, "almost" Mike replied. He looked dull. "Well please finish it fast, by tomorrow, okay? Right now go to sleep, big day tomorrow" Karen said, walking away to her room.

I looked over at Mike, he still looked dull. "Everything okay?" I asked, he squeezed my hand, "yeah, just, I'm gonna miss this house" he said. "Really?" I asked. I know it's stupid, but Mike never really liked his house, "I know, it's weird, but, we have so many memories here" he said. He was right. Mike's house was basically the party's clubhouse, especially his basement, and now it won't be.

"Oh well, at least Mason's giving me two rooms, both bigger than the basement" he said, trying to cheer himself up and pulling me to his room. "Really? That's cool" I said, trying to divert the topic as well. "I know right, the next thing you know he's gonna buy me a car" he joked, "he might, just to get you to like him" I replied. Mike hated Mason. Like deep, gut, hate. "High doubts" he said as we entered his room.

"What's the big day tomorrow?" I asked, sitting on his bed as Mike went to his closet. "Oh we have wedding rehearsals" he said from inside, "Already?" I said, crossing my legs, "I know right, rich people wedding" he said, waving his hands in the air dramatically as he came outside, handing me one of his t-shirts and sweatpants.

"And we also have to get our clothes, well the kids" he said, walking back into his closet, shutting the door. "What are you wearing?" I asked, beginning to change my clothes, "what do you think?" he said, I heard him chuckle, "it's an all-black suit, even the shirt is black" he said, he sounded like he was happy. "Wow, what about the girls?" I folded my clothes, "well, Nancy is wearing this light green dress, it makes her look like a cucumber, trust me" he laughed, "you done?" "Yeah" I said and he came out, taking my clothes from me and putting them inside his closet.

"Michigan is wearing a blue dress, and Mitsuki is wearing a yellow dress" he told me, "wow, copycats" I said, crossing my arms. "That's what I said!" Mike grinned, jumping up and down. "Holly is wearing a pink dress, classic" he said, falling onto his bed.

"You're getting it fitted?" I asked, laying down beside him. "Yeah," he said, looking up at his ceiling. "You okay?" I looked at him, "I'm fine, just, scared," he said, turning on his side to look at me. I turned to face him too, "well, at least, we'll be neighbors" I said, even our windows face each other's. "Yeah, that's good" he smiled, "that's really good" I smiled back.

"Goodnight, Mike"
"Night, Will"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
word count: 1590

blackmailing your dad is so fun tbh. also like karen is so cool.