Prologue (Two centuries ago)

A/N:

This is the first book I've posted!  I will try to post once or twice a week (it depends on how much time I have). There may be long waits between posts so please excuse them. I hope you enjoy!

 27-year-old King Lucian of Narvella's regal presence mixed with a feeling of authority and weariness, he gazed upwards while standing just beyond the weakened and crumbling grey brick walls that protected the kingdom of Jargona. His tall figure was draped in a black cloak, a nice gift from a small village within Narvella. The cloak contrasted handsomely with the bright white shirt which peeked from beneath. The war was still going on so the guards that were usually positioned outside were not there. But, the walls still crumbled ever so slightly with every touch. He stifled a subdued sigh to as he grappled the risky task of lifting the sturdy iron door, its edges adorned with gleaming, bright red rubies that spoke of Jargona's wealth.

With a combination of strength and grace, Lucian managed to create a narrow crack, just wide enough for him to walk through. He cautiously stepped into the mysterious heart of the palace. Clenching the hood of his cloak closer to hide his features, his mind flooded with memories of a time when he was younger, recalling the whispers of trust exchanged between him and Queen Angela Jargona when she had told him about the hidden back entrances of the palace– she was so innocent back then, now she was wrapped in reality, she now knew of betrayal and conflict.

The heavy weight of responsibility bore heavily upon his broad shoulders, knowing that the path ahead, though unguarded, would be fraught with treacherous challenges and the relentless demands of regal duty in a realm fractured by confusion.

He surveyed the palace before him, its halls painted with history and power, and then set his course with determined steps towards the throne room where the dangerous queen of Jargona would most likely be at this time of day.

His mind swirled with the weight of the impending deed as he plotted and strategized how to best sidestep the prying eyes and complete his mission of removing the queen from the public eye permanently. Lucian's inner evil was noticeable, a constant battle inside his mind between his desire for success and his nagging doubts that threatened to unravel his strictly planned scheme. To ease his rising anxiety, he muttered reassuring words to himself, trying to convince his trembling nerves to calm and embrace the secrecy required for his dangerous plan.

As Lucian approached the door of the throne room, a tall guard blocked his path, halting him with a stern gaze. The guard's authoritative tone sliced through the tense air, "Who are you, and why are you here?"

Caught off guard, Lucian's heart raced, and a bead of sweat slipped down his temple as he summoned the courage to be dishonest to the vigilant guard.

With a slow breath, he straightened his posture, his voice steady, "I am here to see Queen Angela to discuss our war plans of defeating the Fatechangers."

The guard softened slightly, a hint of approval had come to his expressions as he guided Lucian closer to the entrance of the throne room, a chamber shrouded in shadows and mystery. With a decisive gesture, the guard swung open the magnificent doors crafted from polished dark oak, revealing the whisper of power that lingered within the chamber beyond. Anticipation thrummed in the air, mingling with the unspoken tension that lay like a heavy blanket over the impending meeting with her majesty, Queen Angela.

"Her majesty will arrive shortly." The guard, dressed in a regal uniform, bowed his head with grace before making his silent exit, the heavy doors shutting behind him with a soft thud.

As the echoes of the closing doors faded, Lucian's gaze swept across the expansive room, taking in what had surrounded him. The walls, filled with shimmering gold plates, bore witness to generations of royalty through the numerous portraits of the regal family that adorned them. A lavish red carpet, it was velvety soft, and stretched out from the entrance to the very foot of the majestic thrones that awaited at the head of the room. These thrones, towering and opulent, were a sight to behold, their magnificence highlighted by the intricate craftsmanship that adorned them - seats of gleaming rubies accented with delicate gold embellishments. Of the two imposing seats, one stood out as slightly larger, undoubtedly reserved for those of the direct bloodline of the royal family, a symbol of their distinguished lineage and unyielding power.