Chapter 9: Distance

It gets harder and harder and harder to just breathe
It's harder and harder and harder to be me
When I find myself squared up in your vision, your vision
Oh, it's harder and harder and harder to just breathe
It's harder and harder and harder to be me
When I find that we're closing up the distance between us
The distance between us

"Distance," by Del Water Gap

_____________________________________________

The doorbell to the house rang at about ten in the morning. Anna had left this morning around eight, and I went back to sleep. I threw the blanket off of me and slowly sat up, placing my feet on the floor. I yawned and rubbed my face, taking my time, until I heard Lettie's voice. She was early. I stood and went to brush my teeth and shower.

I was quick and tried to look decent as I made my way downstairs.

"Thank you for lifting that," I heard her say and let out a sigh as if she had just let something super heavy go.

"I can't peek, can I?" I heard Matt ask.

"Peek away, those are Nick's options for the shoot. Will you help me set up these racks?"

"Whatever you need!" Matt said and clapped his hands.

"I can help, too. I'm sorry. I thought you were going to be by in an hour or so," I said as I entered the large living room. Garment bags and boxes were everywhere.

"Good morning, you lazy twat. Making me and Lettie work like this before noon?" Matt said as he opened a box with clothing rack pieces. Lettie just turned and smiled at me. She looked stressed and maybe like she had been crying.

"Long story, but I'm here now and would love your help," Lettie said as she pointed to another clothing rack to assemble. Something was off.

"Where are the others?" I asked, making my way toward my assignment.

"Part of the long story was I brought over breakfast and coffee, and I dropped it all on the walkway, so they went to get new stuff," Lettie sighed. I walked toward her, leaving the box I had been unpacking.

"Hey, everything is going to be amazing. Okay, darlin'," I told Lettie, cradling one of her shoulders with my hand. Lettie glanced up at me, taking in a calming breath, and nodded.

"We've got coffee!" Nick announced through the house. Lettie just laughed and walked toward his voice.

"Nick, Jamie, thank you for being such angels," Lettie told them, and their voices started to trail down the hall to the kitchen.

"You alright over there?" I asked Matt as he was putting together the rack. He looked to be struggling.

"I'm quite handy, I'll have you know," Matt scoffed.

"You and Lettie getting along?" I asked as I went back to the box with the other rack I was supposed to set up. I started taking the pieces out of the box and avoided looking back at Matt.

"She's a confident one. I think she got frazzled trying to make everything perfect for you, though."

"For me?" I asked, whipping my head to look at him.

"Right, I forgot you can be so daft about when someone likes you. I get it, though. She's out of your league. Why'd you think she'd like you?" Matt laughed, throwing a piece of styrofoam at me.

"Lettie does not find me attractive, mate." I shook my head at him, not wanting to fuel any fire.

"Oi, Turner..." Matt said, coming over to me so we weren't shouting at each other. "She's into you."