chapter 5

"this is good !" Xingcgen looks at the white tassel boot in Zemin's hand.

Zemin grins. He gives the boot to the shopkeeper "I'll take this one."

The shopkeeper nods happily. At first he thought the emperor himself came to buy from his small shop until the second prince cleared his confusion.

But either the emperor or the second prince, they have the taste and money to buy the most expensive thing in his shop. That's why he showed them this expensive boot. He thought he would never sell this. "Is there anything else second prince wants to buy ?"

Zemin thinks for sometimes "yep ! Show me something in chief minister's size."

The shopkeeper beams with happiness "why not .. why not .. just give me a while."

"No need." Xingchen interrupts with a stern voice. "I don't want to buy anything."

"You don't need to buy. It's a gift from me." Zemin whines in a soft voice.

Xingchen was already upset about comming here with Zemin .. his face sours with the fake whine. "I don't need any gift from you."

The shopkeeper gulps. Why chief minister is talking like this ? Doesn't he have the fear of life?

"Why not ?" Zemin folds his arms front of his chest. "You accompanied me all the way to market, you took care of me when I was sick, you played chess with me everyday. Think of this as a gratitude gift."

"I didn't accompany you, you forced me to accompany you. I didn't take care of you. You forced me to. I didn't play chess with you, you blackmailed me to play with you. There is a huge difference.

You are giving me medicine whole stabbing me at the same time. So your gratitude is fictional. Don't bother to gift me anything. It doesn't sound real to me."

Zemin chuckles "You never let go a single chance to scold me .. huh ? Ok ok fine ! I wouldn't give you any gift. But can we have some food now ? I am really hungry."

"I will pay for my own food." Xingchen warns before walking away.

Zemin shakes his head with a soft smile before paying the shopkeeper for the white tassel boot - a birthday gift for father Tao.

***

In the restaurant Zemin sits beside Xingchen witha bowl of soup. Xingchen moves away "why are you here ?"

Zemin points at the bowl "to eat ?"

"Why are you sitting beside me ?"

"Come on , you want me to sit in a separate table? Are we strangers?" Zemin rolls his eyes.

"You can sit on the other side. Why beside me ?"

"What's the big deal ? I wouldn't eat from your bowl unless you offer me. Ok ?"

Xingchen lets out an irritated sigh "whatever.."

Zemin grins as Xingchen stops protesting "So, are you free tonight ?"

"I am not playing."

"Are you scared you will lose again ?"

Xingchen puts his spoon down with a clang sound "yes .. I lost everytime I played with you. So I wouldn't play with you again. Are you satisfied now ?"

"No ! I want to play. Let's play something else." Zemin argues.

Xingchen looks at Zemin directly in the eyes "What do you want from me ? Let's be clear.."