Chapter 8: Back At The Burrow

At first, the small white cat (whom Emily had named Pearl) was not very friendly. She hissed and meowed when anyone tried to touch her except Emily and curled up into a ball in her arms so as not to be disturbed. However, despite the scratches on her arms and the headache she had from the constant meowing, she adored Pearl and couldn't have asked for a better pet.

There was another problem though. Getting a cat in Diagon Alley means bringing it back to the Burrow. Since the Weasleys and the Potters came by floo powder, they had no other way back except, well... floo powder.

'I'm not exactly sure this is going to work,' Molly scratched her head as Emily stood over the coals of The Leaky Cauldron's fireplace. Emily's heart spiked with a new fear; that her brand-new cat wouldn't even make it to Hogwarts. Pearl (after putting up a fight for about 20 minutes) was asleep in Emily's arms, purring softly. Emily stroked her soft white fur. She didn't even want to wake her after the struggle it was to get her to calm down, let alone bring her on a wild ride through the air that could even make humans sick.

She sighed and attempted to push the thoughts out of her mind.

'Well, it's the only way to get her home,' she stated, false confidence in her voice.

Molly smiled kindly, restoring a small flicker of hope in Emily's heart. But she was still worried.

'It was a stupid idea getting a cat today, wasn't it?' She was suddenly second-guessing her decision, no matter how cute Pearl was.

'No of course not dear. Having a companion is a great idea, especially if you don't get sorted into the same house as Harry,' She was still smiling but she looking slightly doubtful. Emily didn't have time to think much about what Molly said before a handful of white powder was poured into her hand and Molly started counting down.

'3... 2... 1...'

Emily didn't hear the last bit because she dropped the powder too soon and was whisked into the sort of familiar feeling of flying in circles. She was encased in a ball of spinning air, and she couldn't see much around her, but she took a chance and pulled her head down. (It was a struggle because she was partially paralysed due to the rate at the air was spinning around her). However, to her surprise, Pearl was sitting unfazed in her arms. Her eyes were open darting around rapidly but from what Emily could infer whilst being transported at a million miles an hour, she was perfectly fine! She let out a sigh of relief as the spinning slowed and she felt herself being lowered to the ground. She shut her eyes tight, preparing for a bumpy entrance into the Weasley's small fireplace.

Thud. She landed squarely in the coals, and (surprisingly) didn't fall over. She ducked out of the fireplace and emerged again in the Weasley's living room. Fred, George, Ron, Ginny, and Harry stood there too, slightly more fazed than her. She stroked Pearl's silky fur and attempted to put her on the ground, but she dug her claws into Emily's sweater and held on tight.

'I guess she's warmed up to you now, that's good!' Ginny exclaimed after she regained her balance. Emily beamed. Pearl was asleep again, which was understandable since she was still a kitten, but it meant Emily could put her on the couch without a fuss.

'Oh goodness, she's ok! I was so worried.' Molly's welcoming voice sounded from behind her. She unloaded her handbag and passed out the shopping. Emily only just realised she had fit everything they had bought in one bag. She was suddenly curious and reached over to peer inside the bag.

'How do you fit everything inside?' she asked. The inside of the bag looked just as any bag would.

'It's a special enchantment Bill taught me. He has to use it because he travels a lot for work.' She finished unpacking the bag and handed Emily her robes and a few other necessary items.

'Oh Ginny and Emily, would you mind giving me your wands? I'm just going to put them with the boys until term starts. Of course, I trust you, but I don't want you to accidentally use magic, especially since you haven't been taught to properly use it yet.'

She gestured to a box on top of the fridge. Ginny handed hers over without question, but Emily hesitated. She had only just received her wand, and she was having it taken away from her. She pouted, not wanting to cause a fuss but also not wanting to give up her precious new wand. Finally, after seeing the pleading look in Ginny's eyes, she pulled her wand out from her pocket and handed it to Molly.

After the girls had given up their wands and eaten a hearty afternoon tea, Emily grabbed her uniform and her bag and they ran upstairs to Ginny's room. She was the only one with a room to herself because she was the only girl, but that meant she had the smallest room. Molly made her a bed while they were eating, which consisted of a few pillows and blankets from the downstairs couch. Clearly, they didn't have people over often. Nevertheless, Ginny's room was bigger than Emily had ever had, and even though it wasn't her style, she immediately loved it. The walls were painted pink and there were quidditch posters stuck up around the room. Both her and Ginny's beds were covered in cushions of all shapes and sizes, and there was a beautiful yellow lamp on the bedside table.

Ginny let herself fall backwards onto her bed as Emily unpacked her things. After a while, Pearl padded her way up the stairs a poked her little white head through the gap in the door. Emily scooped her into her arms and both the girls stroked her as they talked about the excitement of going to Hogwarts. There were still two weeks until school started but Emily was sure she would love every minute of them.