TWELVE: Changes

There was a fear that was deeply instilled into Peter ever since he was young. It was something that slithered in the back of his mind like a poisonous snake, ready to attack whenever he was ready to leave home.

Peter always thought that once he left his house for school or for any sort of hangout with friends, that there would be no home to turn back to. The object permanence in his brain was beyond comprehension as the moment he left the comfortability of his homelife, he felt abandoned. Now that wasn't to say his family wasn't completely supportive of his endeavors, it was quite the opposite. His father had raised him to keep the family together. Yet, his father was distant. Peter knew he had to look after his mother, older sisters and nieces. So when his father advanced in age more and more it was his responsibility.

It stirred in his mothers basement most of the time. His lack of self esteem and wanting to be heard drove him mad. He needed to keep his hands busy more than just what teenagers do under the covers.

Peter was ultimately the kid that took a whole village to raise and now he was set off on the road, chasing that gamble he was well aware of.

Everything still baffled him on how far he had gotten. Even if it was just him and his childhood best friends crammed in a tour bus like packed tuna. He'd have to find home in those experiences all while missing you.

"You excited for our tour?'' Asks Johnny, well aware of the answer that would rumble out of Peter.

"More or less,'' Pete shrugs as he's got a notepad in hand. He's scribbling down a few lines, words tangling with the feeling of nervousness.

"Just want to give them all a good show.''

"Well, we'll give them one they will never forget. Even if it's 'cause we suck.'' Josh chimes in and squeezes himself through the narrow walkway of the bus. He sits down as Johnny and Kenny laugh a bit at the remark.

The bus hums as it drives and each line Peter writes feels void of any substance. He sets the notepad down, looking out the tour bus window to find a serene and picturesque sunset resting on the horizon.

Peter would like to think their first set of shows for their tour will be good. He can't help but think he will imagine you in every set of audience he performs to.

The bus rolls and covers a good amount of miles before the sun completely disappears from the sky. Due to a few mishaps with some traffic and scheduling issues, their arrival to the airport had just been a bit late. That irked Peter to no end and it showed in his exasperated expression.

One drink couldn't hurt. 

– – – –

You nestled in the borough of Brooklyn, feeling a heaviness in your heart. It hadn't been too long since Peter's departure and you already missed him. What was strange was that you didn't realize how much space he had taken up; mind and in reality. With him gone, it was quiet and you wondered how you spent so many years in that silence. Where it once gave you comfort now gave you a sense of yearning. Is this how those wives felt waiting for their husbands to return from war? The two scenarios couldn't even compare but the position felt familiar.

Familiar and quiet.

Instead of huffing and puffing your cheeks out inside your apartment, you decide to head into town to take a few photos. The task seems almost daunting, seeing as that the last time you even lifted your camera was when you had that encounter with Elizabeth. 

The chaos of the area bursts through your ears once you set out on the streets. You began to walk around, simply people watching to get some sort of inspiration. The phrase 'people watching' almost felt like a roundabout way to say you were eyeing people a bit too closely. Maybe it would sound better if you had observed them like birds. Suppose the greatest artists had gotten their inspo from life itself since it had always moved and changed.