o n e

It was late July, almost the beginning of August and I had turned 11 two months ago. Father likes to describe me as stubborn and impatient but I like to describe me as determined and eager. 

Everyone always says that I'm the spitting image of my mother, with my silver eyes and heart-shaped lips. But I never really knew her, because of course she died when I was three. It's the perfect villain origin story. 

Today was the 28th of July, and I had just woken up and was eating a full bowl of Lucky Charms--something my father greatly disapproved of--but who was there to stop me? Not him. 

Father called me over to the coffee table and I found him holding an envelope tinged yellow which made me wonder how long it had been in the mailbox for. 

"Ms. J. Hart. The bedroom to the left of the bathroom. 12 King Street. Manchester." Father read out, holding the envelope an arm's length away. 

"Well? Can we open it?" I asked impatiently (or eagerly, you choose). 

Father reached for his envelope opener on the wooden coffee table. He slid it into the envelope and fished out a piece of paper. He read it out loud. 

Dear Ms. Hart, 

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 

"But I didn't even apply?" I interrupted.  

"Hush, Juni." 

Students shall be required to report to the Chamber of Reception upon arrival, the dates which shall be duly advised. 

Please ensure that the utmost attention be made to the list of requirements attached here with. 

I reached into the envelope, pulled out yet another sheet of paper and examined it while Father finished the rest of the letter. 

We very much look forward to receiving you as a part of the new generation of Hogwarts' Heritage. 

"Juni dear, what does this say? It appears my eyes must be failing me. . ." Father squinted at the second last line of the letter. 

"It's something in Latin, Father," I replied. "And the end is signed by Professor McGonagall." 

"Perhaps she's the headmaster?" Father raised his eyebrows. 

I shrugged. 

"What does the second sheet of paper say?" Father asked. 

I scanned the letter quickly. "Just a bunch of supplies we would never find around here." 

"Well, where do you suppose we find them?" Father sighed. 

"Oh! There's another letter here!" I fished out a third letter and ran through it. "It's a complete guide on how to acquire all those things." 

"Perfect. We shall leave at once." Father said. 

"Father, we're both in our pyjamas." 

"Right, you are Juni darling." 

I ran to my room dressed in my favourite stretchy jeans, a plain white tee and a grey sweatshirt. 

"Father! Hurry up!" I called up the stairs, hopping on one foot while trying to put on my plain white sneakers. 

Father came rushing down the stairs in casual clothes. 

"Great let's go." 

Father started the car and we rolled away in the direction of the four-hour drive to The Leaky Cauldron.