The Audition

My heart pounds in my chest as I stand outside the audition room, my hands slightly sweaty despite the cool breeze that sweeps through the hallway.

Today is the day of my first audition.

It is for the upcoming intercollegiate dance competition—a chance to showcase my talent on a larger stage than ever before.

I glance at the notice board, where the list of participants is posted. My eyes bulged out as I scanned through a sea of names, each one representing a dancer with dreams just like mine.

As I was struggling to find my name, some students pass by, murmuring to each other.

"It seems there's no chance for us anymore," one of them sighs, looking down.

"Yeah..I heard Liang Wei is also auditioning" the other girl replied.

(Huh? Liang Wei? the most popular senior of the college?)
I can't help but feel a pang of nervousness.

But I steel myself with determination. I've come too far to let fear hold me back now.

I took a deep breath, shaked off my doubts and stepped into the room.

Inside, the atmosphere of anticipation, the sound of shuffling feet and whispering conversations filled the air.

I scanned the room, my eyes meeting those of my fellow participants—some nervous, some confident, all eager to prove themselves worthy of a coveted spot in the competition.

As I make my way to the back of the line, I can't help but overhear snippets of conversation from the dancers around me.

Some mocked the younger participants, saying there's no point auditioning now that Liang Wei is here.

Their words stinged me, but I refused to let them shake my resolve.

I was playing with my fingers, looking around the room.

"Li Mei," the adjudicator announces, and my heart skipped a beat.

I step forward, feeling the weight of everyone's eyes on me.

I can sense their curiosity as they wonder who I am, never having heard of me before.

Finally, I was standing at the centre of stage. The spotlight focussed on me, giving my nervous goosebumps on my arms. I smiled at the judges in front, and gave them a bow.

The anouncer once again confirmed my name.
"Miss Li Mei on stage. Start the music."

I pushed aside my nerves and focussed on the music, letting it guide my movements as I dance with all the passion and skill I possess.

I saw my teacher's face light up with admiration and awe as I performed, adding to the energy in the room.

I finally come to a stop, breathless and exhilarated, bowed down to the judges and glanced at my teacher, smiling through sweat. She looked back at me with an assuring smile.

But my victory is short-lived as I overhear their serious discussion.

My heart sinks as I realize that two of them are shaking their heads in disapproval. Doubt creeps back into my mind, replacing the confidence I felt just moments ago.

As I make my way back to my place in line, tension fills the air as I await the judges' comments. They are now looking down on their marking sheets and discussing seriously, their expressions unreadable.

I was deep in my doubtful thoughts when the judge called my name.

"Miss Li Mei." Her voice echoed in the auditorium.

"Miss Li Mei?"