Chapter thirty-eight

En başından başla

I chuckle softly, my mouth opening to speak but closing just a second later when everyone else begins walking into the room.

I feel a jolt of anger when I notice my Dad talking to Rafe with a widened smile on his lips, speaking to him as if he was gods gift.

I resist the burning urge to roll my eyes at the sight, just seeing my Dad talk more to Rafe than he's bothered to talk to me in over a month sends my body into an overwhelming sense of frustration.

I turn my attention back to Sarah who's sat beside me, ignoring the fact that Rafe is sat directly across from me now.

I look over at him for a moment, he's already watching me, studying my movements.

I almost forget how to breathe when I'm met with those blue eyes, my throat tightening as I attempt to pull my gaze from him.

His eyes begin trailing down my body, before landing on my cleavage. I watch as his lips part slightly, and I really wouldn't be surprised if he started drooling.

Even just his stare has begun to make my body heat up, making me gulp down hard and look away before my growing attraction for him becomes obvious.

I need to remind myself that nobody here is aware that me and Rafe are on... speaking terms again.

Well, except Ward, but he is really the last of my concerns right now.

"What's that on your neck?" Sarah whispers, making my eyes go wide.

"Nothing" I murmur sheepishly.

"That's a hickey!" she whisper shouts, attracting the attention of Rafe.

Thankfully nobody else.

"Shut up" i nudge her while using my hand to cover up my neck.

My eyes dart across to Rafe, who's got a smug grin plastered on his face. I shoot him a look, before looking back at the blonde beside me.

"Who was it?" She giggles quietly, "was it jj?" She continues, my cheeks burning red in embarrassment.

"No!" I shake my head vigorously, making her laugh harder.

"Bet it was jj, I see the way he looks at you" she speaks a little louder, but not loud enough that my dad or hers hear.

Only Rafe.

It takes me a moment to realise what she's trying to do, then it clicks... she's trying to piss off Rafe.

And it's working, because that arrogant grin has been replaced by a narrow eyed glare.

"What are you talking about?" Rafe butts in, letting his frustration get the best of him.

"None of your business" she smiles obnoxiously at him, her head tilting to the side.

"Sarah" he growls, his nostrils flaring.

"Just telling Annie how oblivious she is to the fact that jj likes her" she tells her brother, obviously enjoying the fact that she's getting under his skin.

His darkened eyes flicker between me and her, his lips separating to speak but she beats him to it.

"I think they'd be cute together, don't you?" She grins, pursing her lips to stop herself from laughing in his face.

He mutters something under his breath, stabbing his fork into the food on his plate aggressively.

"You know what they say... best way to get over someone is to get under someone else" she giggles to me, my cheeks a deep shade of crimson red at this point.