Chapter 9

"I'm so lucky to have a complete package of a worthless child." Dad said sharply. We were all at the dining table. I'm not surprised if he already knows what happened earlier at the student day. It spread throughout the campus what happened at the booth. We're the talk of the town in every organization's pages of the school.

"It's a good thing I didn't end up with you marrying one of the Saavedra's kids. You would have been a huge embarrassment to this family!"

In scenarios like this, I'm unfazed. Everything feels normal to me. In one ear, out the other. That's how I deal with it. I'm also not surprised that one day he might disown me as his child. But I doubt it, especially since I know his secret. I grin.

Suddenly, I find myself sitting on the floor. Dad punched me. He grabbed my collar and forced me up. We stared at each other. I find his anger amusing. I became serious when he changed his expression.

"Why don't you do what you're thinking? Kick me out? Go ahead, nothing's stopping you. But I doubt it," I challenge. His wife, Thomas, is between us, seemingly amused by what dad did to me.

"Don't test me, Thara Gonzales!"

"Then I challenge you, dad," I calmly reply. It's amusing to see him like this, given his influential persona.

"Oh, like what you did to mom. Why don't you try it with me, so I can end this ordeal?" I say. His eyes widen.

"You don't know what you're saying," he says softly.

"Really?" I raise an eyebrow. I look at Thomas, who seems puzzled. My sibling is his strength and also his weakness.

"Don't you dare, Thara!" he pleads. He shakes his head. This is the first time I've seen him like this. He lets go of my collar and looks at me. We lock eyes.

"I know what you did. To that family, even to my mom. I've been quiet, but don't push me. As long as I have some respect left for you. As long as I still see you as my dad," I say as I leave. I hear my stepmom calling my name, but I ignore her. I go to a place where I'm sure I'm safe. My room. As soon as I enter, I go straight to bed and bury my face in the pillow. I cry everything out. After decades, the events are still vivid, every detail unforgettable. Gunshots, a child's cries, the parents' cries for help, and how they begged and fought for their lives. And how mom took her last breath. My dad killed her. But I couldn't do anything.

I stood up and grabbed my laptop. I searched for the victims of that crime. "Villa Netteia." The case involving the Jongcheveevat family. The famous couple, Gulf Nattarin Traipipattanapong and Axel Mew Jongcheveevat, and their only child, Nicole Jongcheveevat. They were found dead at the resort owned by Gulf's family, and they suspected Mew of committing the crime due to jealousy and drug use. Mew was caught after a month of hiding, and their son, Nicole, was found lifeless in a secluded area near their resort. Decades have passed, and the Villa Netteia resort is still famous. Mild mentioned wanting to go there before. But I stopped him. Not because of fear, but because it would bring back my trauma. That night, my mom was killed. My mom and Gulf were best friends. And this article, which I always revisit to read, is a complete lie. I don't believe Nicole, Mew, or Gulf are dead. I close my eyes. If I were to see them, I would want to apologize for what my dad did. I know it's him. My dad killed them. Not Mew.

-------

"Thana, what are you planning? Our worst fears have come true. Edgar's child and Narrine...."

"Don't worry. I always keep an eye on my child. And thank you for taking care of and raising him well. I know that no amount of sacrifice is enough for what you've done for me, for us."