Chapter 9: The Golden Egg, Dobby and Talking With Snape

Start from the beginning

December rolled in bringing cold air and snow. Harry, Ron and Hermoine went down for Care of Magical Creatures class, which they had with the Slytherins. Hagrid said, after everyone arrived, "I'm not sure whether they hibernate or not. Thought we'd just try and see if they fancied kip. We'll just settle them down in these boxes." There were only 10 skrewts now. Each one was about 6 feet in length with thick gray armor. The class looked on warily as Hagrid continues, "We'll just lead them in here and put the lids on, and we'll see what happens." They ended up learning that skrewts didn't hibernate. Nor did they like being forced into the boxes that were lined with pillows and blankets. Hagrid said, "Don't panic now! Don't panic!" As the skrewts break through the boxes burning the boxes and everything in it in the process. They start rampaging all over the pumpkins in the pumpkin patch as most of the students, lead by Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle, ran into Hagrid's hut. The few that remained, along with Harry, Ron and Hermoine, helped Hagrid tie up 9 of the 10 skrewts. Despite receiving cuts and burns from doing so, they turn to the last skrewt. Hagrid, timing it, manages to jump on the skrewt, flattening to the ground. Ron quickly gives Harry the rope. Harry ties the rop around the sting of the skrewt. And tie it up. As Hagrid begins to tug it towards the others, Rita Skeeter leans against the fence and said, "Well, well, well. This does look like fun." After Hagrid puts the skrewt with the others, he said, "Who are you?" Rita said, "Rita Skeeter. Daily Prophet reporter." Rita continues, "What are these fascinating creatures called?" Hagrid said, "Blast-Ended Skrewts." Rita said, "Really? I've never heard of them before. Where do they come from?" Hagrid, whose cheeks flushed red, didn't answer. Harry, Ron and Hermoine were also wondering where Hagrid got them. Hermoine thinking quickly to help Hagrid, said, "They're very interesting, aren't they, Harry." Harry, who caught on, said, "Oh, yeah. They are, Hermoine." Rita said, "Ah, you're here, Harry. So, you like Care of Magical Creatures, do you? One of your favorite lessons?" Harry said proudly, "Yes." Rita said, "Lovely. Really lovely." She returns her attention back to Hagrid as she said, "Been teaching long?" Hagrid said, "This is only me second year." Rita said, "Lovely... I don't suppose you'd like to give an interview, would you? Share some of your experience of magical creatures? The Prophet does a zoological column every Wednesday, as I'm sure you know. We could feature these.... Bang-Ended Scoots." Hagrid said, "Blast-Ended Skrewts. Yeah, why not?" Harry had a bad feeling about this, but there was nothing he could do with Rita here. Rita and Hagrid set up a day to meet at the three broomstick for later in the week for a good long interview. The bell finally rang signaling the end of class. Rita said, "We'll, good-bye Harry." She looks at Hagrid and said, "Until Friday then, Hagrid." She leaves as they make their way up to the castle. Harry said, "She'll twist everything he says." Hermione looks worried as Ron said, "Hagrid's been in loads of trouble before, and Dumbledore never sacked him."

After hey went through divination with Trelawney's usual prediction of Harry's death, they go dinner, then make their way up to Gryffindor Tower. Just as they made it to the Fat Lady's portrait, Hermoine comes running up behind them. She said, "Harry! Harry, you've got to come! The most amazing thing happened." Harry and Ron started following her back downstairs. Harry said, "What's the matter?" Hermoine said, "I'll show you when we get there." As they get to the dungeons and go down a broad corridor, they come across a portrait of a bowl of fruit. Hermoine reaches out a finger and tickle a pear. The pear squirms and chuckles, then it turns into a large green door handle. She pulls the door open and pushes both Ron and Harry inside, before shutting the door. Harry manages a glimpse of the kitchen with its high ceiling, the room the size of the great hall, piles of pots and pans along the wall and a large brick fireplace at one end of the room, before something runs at him at top speed, squeaking, "Harry Snape, sir? Harry Snape!" Next thing Harry knew, he had the wind knocked out of him as the squeaking house elf hit him mid-drift, hugging him so tightly that he thought his ribs would break. Harry said, "Dobby?" Dobby said, "It is Dobby, sir! It is! Dobby has been hoping and hoping to see Harry Snape, sir, and Harry Snape has come to see him, sir!" Dobby moves back so that Harry can see him. :) Dobby had a big smile on his face, his big green eyes looking bright and happy. His clothes were different this time. When he worked for the Malfoys, he wore an old dirty pillowcase. Now, he was wearing a tea cozy as a hat with badges pinned to it. A tie with pattern horseshoes on it. He was bare chested, wearing a pair of children's short and a different sock on each foot. One, Harry recognized, as the sock he used to free Dobby in his 2nd year. The other sock had pink and orange stripes. Harry said, "Dobby, what are you doing here?" Dobby said, "Dobby has come to work at Hogwarts, sir! Professor Dumbledore gave Dobby a job, sir!" Harry said, "How long have you been here, Dobby?" Dobby said, "Only a week, Harry Snape, sir. Dobby came to see Professor Dumbledore, sir. You see, it is very difficult for a house elf who has been dismissed, to get a new position, sir. Very difficult indeed." Dobby continues, "Dobby has traveled the country for 2 whole years, sir, trying to find work. But Dobby hasn't found work, sir, because Dobby wants paying now. But most wizards doesn't want a house elf who wants paying miss. Dobby likes work, but he wants to wear clothes and he wants to be paid, Harry Snape. Dobby likes being free." Dobby smiles widely, "Professor Dumbledore said he would pay Dobby, sir, if Dobby wants paying. So, Dobby is a free elf, sir, and Dobby gets a galleon a week and 1 day off a month." Dobby pauses, before he continues, "Professor Dumbledore offered 10 galleons a week and weekends off, but Dobby beat him down, sir. Dobby likes freedom, sir, but he isn't wanting too much, sir. He likes work better." Harry smiles at Dobby. He understood the house elf. Hermoine said, "We better get going." As they stood up to leave, the house elves crowd around them offering them cream cakes and pies to take upstairs. Hermoine refused. Harry and Ron filled their pockets with them. Harry said, "Thanks a lot!" Harry said to Dobby, "See you, Dobby." Harry Snape, can Dobby come and see you sometimes, sir?" Harty smiles, "Course you can, Dobby." As they leave the kitchen and head towards the stairs to leave the dungeons, Harry said, "I need to talk to dad about Dobby. I'll meet you guys up in the common room." Ron and Hermoine nod as they went towards the stairs. Harry went towards Snape's quarters and knocked.

Snape said, "Enter." Harry enters and shuts the door behind him. Snape smiles slightly upon seeing Harry as he looks up from his armchair. Snape said, "What brings you to my quarters, Harry?" Harry said, "Guess what, dad?" Snape raises an eyebrow, looking amused, "What, Harry." Harry said, "Dobby is working here now." Snape said, "Ah yes, I remember Dumbledore telling us at the staff table when Dobby was hired." Harry said, "It's great, isn't it?" Snape said, "Indeed it is, Harry." Harry went thoughtful, "I hope Winky is ok somewhere.... She was really upset when we last saw her." Snape said, "Funny you should mention that, Harry." Harry looks at Snape curiously as Snape continues, "The same day Dobby was hired, another house elf was hired. A female house elf. Dumbledore asked me if she could work for me. I told him of course. The house elf didn't want to be paid, but was willing to wear clothes. I convince her to allow me to pay her at least 2 galleons a week and a day off. It took much talking and consoling to help her be more like herself again and to agree to the terms." Snape smiles as he pauses before saying, "Her name is Winky." Harry's jaw dropped to the floor as he said, "She's here, too?" Snape chuckles, "Yes, she is." Snape said as he stands up, "Winky!" Winky appeared by Snape and bows, "You called for Winky, sir?" Snape said, as he crouches down to her level, "Yes Winky. I want you to meet someone. I think you know him." Winky turns to see Harry sitting on the couch, looking shocked at her. Winky's big brown eyes widen in surprised upon recognizing him. Harry saw that she was wearing a neat little skirt and blouse with matching blue hat which had holes for her ears. Snape said, "This is Harry Snape. He is my son, whom I adopted 3 years ago. You saw us at our seats at the Quidditch World Cup." Winky bows to Harry and said as she straightens up again, "Winky is honored to meet you, sir." Harry said, "How are you doing, Winky? My friends and I were worried about you." Winky said, "Winky is doing better, sir. She misses Mr. Barry Crouch, but she understands that Professor Snape is her master now. That it wasn't Winky's fault that she was given clothes. Professor Snape has been very kind to Winky, sir." She bows to Snape, then looks back at Harry, "You believe Winky, don't you? I is never taking your wand, sir." Harry said. "Yeah, I believe you, Winky. Meaning no offense, but Mr. Crouch shouldn't have presented you with clothes. You were telling the truth." Winky bows, "Thank you, Harry Snape, sir." Harry said, "You're welcome, Winky." Snape said, "As Harry is my son, you will obey his orders as you would obey mine, understood Winky?" Winky bows to Snape, "Yes, master. Winky understands." Snape said, "Off you go. Winky." Winky bows to both Snape and Harry and disapparates with a crack. Harry said, grinning, "Wait until I tell Ron and Hermoine." Snape chuckles and said, "I agree to have her work for me as I could help her heal and continue forward, after everything she has been through. She did not deserve to be treated that way. Unfortunately, most wizards who are wealthy, like the Malfoys, treat their house elves extremely unfairly.... Even to the extent of abusing them." Harry was once again, shocked. Snape said, "Shocking, I know." Harry said, "I'm glad you could help her, dad." Snape smiles, "I'm glad as well, Harry." He lookd at his clock and said, "It is very late, now, Harry. You had better go up to the common room, before Filch catches you." Harry grins, "Ok dad. Good night." Snape chuckles, "Good night, Harry. Harry gets up and leaves, shutting the door behind him. Snape shakes his head as he gets ready for bed. His mind goes to the Yule Ball that would be coming up soon. Dance lessons will begin for Harry very soon. This is going to be an interesting holiday.