After about 30 minutes of polishing and detailing, Riley was actually proud of herself. The painting ended up with a mix of blue, yellow and red paint, the hues contrasting her skin color and shading the features perfectly. The colors weren't any normal human skin colors─because who is born with blue skin?─but in art, you could do whatever you wanted. Smiling at the art, she got up the stool and let the painting dry as she grabbed her palette and dirty paintbrushes and got out of her dorms to go wash them.
While walking in the hallway, she spotted Max, casually waving at her. "How are you holding up with photography, girl?" Riley asked.
"Fine, I guess," Max nonchalantly shrugged, "Mr. Jefferson wants me to join the Everyday Heroes contest, but I don't really think I want to." she paused for a bit, "but again, he's insisting so much and I just─"
"Don't pressure yourself. If you don't feel like doing it, don't do it. But, personally? I love your pics, Caulfield." Riley chuckled. "Wish I could high five you or pat you on the shoulder, or anything, but," she pointed at her hands filled with paint and the fact that they're already filled with dirty art supplies.
Max chuckled aswell. "It's fine."
"Hey, are you going to that party on Saturday? Or was it Sunday? Anyway, you gonna be there?"
"No, I'll think I'll pass for this time." Max rubbed the back of her neck. "Sorry."
"Don't apologize. It's totes fine." Riley smiled. "Anyway, I'll see you around. Later!" The two girls waved at eachother one last time before they parted ways. Riley loved conversations, even if it was just small talk. She then headed to the bathroom to wash her art supplies.

A bit later in the evening, Riley was hanging out outside with some of her friends, discussing about the party and what they should prepare, or bring.
"I can bring the drinks." Riley spoke up as Dana and Juliet were bickering about who was going to bring the drinks, and almost were about to play rock paper scissors over it. "Sodas, beers─whatever. I just won't buy any illegal shit because I don't want to have 'arrested for underage drinking' files in my criminal record."
"You sure?" Juliet asked. "You don't want me to get them?"
"I was going to get them before you, girl," Dana scoffed jokingly.
Riley rolled her eyes playfully. "None of y'all are buying the drinks. I will. Period, end of discussion."
Dana and Juliet both sighed, both sad (jokingly) because they couldn't buy the drinks. But soon they started discussing snacks and this time, it wasn't just the girls. The whole friend group was bickering about what snacks to buy and what to get as extra supplies. Riley, however, didn't want to participate in this banter that has been going on for atleast more than an hour, so she got up from the grass and bid everybody goodbye, before heading back to her dorm.

    1:03 AM.
    For some reason, Riley couldn't sleep tonight─which was rare to hear because the girl takes any occasion to sleep. She kept tossing and turning for god knows how long. She came up with two theories: either she was nervous about her painting submission tomorrow, or it was the energy drink she drank when she was with her friends this afternoon. Nevertheless, she needed out. Like, urgently. Yanking the blankets off of her, she only wore her shoes before sneaking out her dorm, practically tip toeing her way out. Then she got the dumb ass idea to visit the boys' dorms. She was thinking about writing something like 'wanna get high 2nite' on a random boy's slate jokingly.
Slowly making way towards the boys' dorms, Riley finally reached the door, and tried to open it. "Shit," she mumbled. It was locked: probably David Madsen locking it so no boy can escape. But how did she get out of her dorm? Too many questions, too little time. Still trying to budge the door like an idiot, clicking and unlocking was heard from the other side. Riley froze. Instinctively she let go of the door knob, and out from the door burst out Nathan, crying. He didn't even acknowledge her─or didn't give two fucks that she was here, anyway. But he sure did take his sweet time to lock the door again, so yeah, he totally just ghosted her.
    Riley looked at him with a slight frown as he walked away. Even the most horrible people deserve some comfort, I guess, she thought to herself. She let the Prescott get a bit more far so it doesn't seem like she's stalking him or something, before quietly following him. He went as far as into the Blackwell Academy parking lot, and sat on one of the benches near the fountain. And there he was. Hands on his face, crying like a child. Riley couldn't help but feel bad for him. Like, a tsunami ton of bad. At first, Riley hesitated. She wanted to go back to her dorm, let him deal with his own shit, she thought. But she wasn't cruel, and was open to listen to anyone. And at that moment? Nathan looked like he really needed it.
    Taking a deep breath, she marches towards him and sat down beside him.
"Uh," she started, hesitantly putting a hand on his shoulder. "Hey."
He flinched at her touch and pushed her hand away, quickly wiping his tears before staring at her with his venomous gaze. "Don't fucking touch me. Piss off."
"Piss off?" she snorted, "is that a reference to what I told you this morning? About pee in your cereal?"
He didn't reply. He just crossed his arms and slumped against the bench, looking ahead. Right, I never comfort arrogant people, she told herself.
"Um, uh, er.." Riley was stammering. She had zero idea on how to start this. "I─"
"Stop fucking stammering, weirdo." Nathan glared angrily at her.
Riley gulped, rubbing the back of her neck. After a moment of awkward silence, she finally spoke. "Are you, well, okay? I mean I know you're not, you were literally just fucking crying right now."
"Good to know your little pea brain actually put 2 and 2 toghether. Glad I don't have to answer that stupid question."
Riley paused again. "It's not stupid. Asking about mental health is very important."
Nathan just rolled his eyes.
"Seriously though, Prescott─"
He slammed his hand on the bench, seething at her. "Do not call me that."
She seemed taken aback. "Woah, woah, okay, dude. Jeez. Nathan." Nathan seemed to calm down just a bit after that. "Do you, like, need someone to talk to? Let it out? I dunno. I know you're fucking rude to everything and everyone but even the coldest hearts deserve something, right?"
"Get the fuck away from me, Riley Erikson. I don't need your 'help'." Nathan got up from the bench, putting the word 'help' in air quotes. He then walked away.

    Riley sighed to herself. "Well, it was worth a shot," she mumbled, "and atleast he bothered to remember my name."
This quick set of events tired her, which queued her to go to sleep, and so she headed back to her dorm and went off to sleep.

─────────

WORD COUNT: 2377 WORDS

basma says ! ^_^ :
hii chat! i stayed up until 2 am writing this LOLOLOL!! the friendship between nathan and riley wont start now so SUIT YOURSELF BECAUSE THIS WILL BE A VERY VERY SLOWBURN (atleast until i cant wait anymore) SO SEE U UNTIL NEXT CHAPTER! BAI! (⁠>⁠▽⁠<⁠)⁠ノ