twelve. journey back

Start from the beginning

"We're going to do it right here." Bruce stands in the center of the lab fitting the ring on his finger.

"So the two of you- three of you will return right here?" Steve's movement is extremely nervous and agitated.

"We have no idea." Bruce kicks at the ground. "If we get back-"

"When we get back." Tony interrupts sharing a pointed look at Bruce.

"When we get back, we don't know if we're going to show up right where we are right now, if we're going to show up back when Natasha first left, or if we're going to show up after the amount of time we spend looking for her passes."

Steve nods, like he's receiving the most important orders from an officer that he's ever received before.

"Our goal is to spend no more than three days in the past, but you never know, more time could be needed."

"Steve, can you come back and check every day to see if anything has changed on this end? If we need more time, we'll find a way to leave a note."

Tony adjusts the ring on his finger, sometimes glancing over to Steve.

"Sure, but if there is a change, what should I do?"

"Just read whatever we left. If we need help, it will have directions on it." Tony brushes his jacket and looks at Bruce.

"We're trusting you with this Steve." Bruce glares at him. "No one else knows and we hope to keep it that way. If you need help, you can get it, but try to keep it a secret as long as posssible."

Steve looks sick.

"You've got the third ring Bruce?" Tony asks through a breath.

"I do."

"Northern Italy," Bruce and Tony input the place on their rings in unison.

"July Tenth." They select the date. Steve looks between the two of them, swallowing a lump in his throat.

"Twelve in the afternoon?" Tony looks up to Bruce and he nods, both of them inputting the time.

"You ready?" Bruce stares at his friend across from him.

"Ready as ever." He shrugs but Steve can tell he's nervous. That both of them are.

There is no going back. They aren't taking the tesseract as back up. This is it. There is still a decent chance that they cannot get back to the present, even after all of their testing.

"Steve," Tony looks at him. "She'll be back soon."

"You two better come back." Steve says quietly. "Come back. I can't lose two more of you."

"We'll be back Steve. The three of us."

Bruce nods to Tony and they both take a breath and tap their rings.

In a split second they're gone and Steve is left alone in the room. He looks up to the sky.

"Please, come back."

...

The afternoon after Steve and Natasha brought the boys back was a whirlwind of pictures (of him, not Natasha), interviews, and meetings.

Natasha, Steve, Peggy, and Howard all stand around a table with a map sprawled across it in a secret meeting room created just for higher ups.