18

Lisa

Does it make me a dick that I'm grinning over Roseanne's slip of the tongue?

Maybe. But I made peace with who I am a long time ago.

She's got her head held high, the light shimmering on her collarbones as she walks at my side, refusing to make eye contact.

I think the most satisfying part is that for all her sass and confidence, it's something as simple as implying we're together that has her freaked out.

That's my move. I'm the one who blurts things out and then has to retreat awkwardly or say something mean to cover for it. So I'm not sure what she's all stressed about.

It's almost like she hasn't been paying attention.

If she had been, she'd know I've wanted this for a long fucking time. Wanted her for a long fucking time. So, yeah, she can bet her sweet ass we're together.

I slide my hand over her silk dress, savoring the feel of her lower back and lack of panty lines, before I slip it over her hip possessively as we follow the red carpet around the corner toward the courtyard. It's a sweeping paved area on the lake with twinkle lights strung through the palm trees that aren't remotely indigenous to the area. Set back is a pair of big sliding glass doors that open into the ballroom.

I'm about to direct us off this over-the-top red carpet when a bright flash stops us in our tracks.

I hate having my picture taken without permission. It's an intrusion I've faced my entire life. My dad did his best to keep Minnie and me out of the spotlight, but the success rate wasn't one hundred percent.

But I also know how to play nice in front of the media. Learned that from my dad too. My fingers dig into Roseanne's hip, so she turns toward me. Her hand slides up over my chest until she's clinging to me. And I just hold her against me tighter.

The photographer smiles at us, and a brunette woman wearing a sequined red dress with a recording device pops up from behind him. "Lisa Manoban, what a treat to have you here tonight supporting the Green Lake Wildfire Recovery."

I give her a thin, practiced smile. "It's a pleasure to be here. Or it was until they photographed us without permission."

The woman blanches but swiftly regains her composure. "I'm so sorry. Would you like me to have the photo deleted?" Roseanne's fingers circle at my chest, a warning to be nice, I'm sure. But she knows better. I am nice; I just don't come off that way sometimes. I can practically feel her rolling her eyes at me. She'd say I'm being a dick.

"No, I'd just like to be asked first."

That strikes everyone silent while the woman works her head around how to proceed. "Can we get a photo of you for the paper?"

Roseanne starts to cover for me. "Oh, that's not necessary⁠-"

"That would be lovely." I give her a real smile.

The woman counts down, and this time, we're facing the camera, Roseanne still tucked tight against my side.

The photographer turns to show us the shot on the screen, and we look so damn good together that I swallow, covering the emotion that swells in my chest.

"And who are you out with tonight? We'll add it to the description."

Roseanne goes stiff. I don't know what she's expecting me to say, but something tells me it's not, "Oh, this is my girlfriend-Roseanne Park."

I walk into the party with a speechless girlfriend on my arm.

And I've never liked having my photo taken more.