𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭: Capturing a Weird Sight

Start from the beginning

As the car left a wealthy yard, and Jaemin clicked the button to close the automatic fence, Renjun waved to his parents and instantly flicked his eyes to the beta, "There's no assurance collar, right?

"That's right," the beta said, not even batting an eye, obviously exhausted after lying so much that he chose to be honest. "But I did look into them. I'll make sure to pick the prettiest and the most expensive as an apology gift. It shouldn't have been like this."

Renjun wasn't sure. He felt that Jaemin knew this would happen with Jeno. After all, most of the things he said about the alpha wishing for an omega were lies. It was like he tried to convince Renjun so the latter would have hope and not plan to run away. Meanwhile, the pureblood was still interested in freedom and had no desire to be stuck to one omega.

"Let Mr. Lee buy it himself as an alpha should," the omega said dryly, before heading inside.

Jeno returned from a lecture and turned the house into an excitement and anxiety mess. He spilled everything that happened during his day, with all the details. He disclosed who argued with whom, what grade he got, and what further projects awaited him. Renjun didn't understand a thing, but it seemed Jaemin was well-enlightened about Jeno's classmates as he knew their names and understood the severity of projects the alpha had to do. The beta listened to him patiently this time, participating in their conversation more actively as he rested overnight, and could finally endure the pureblood more effectively.

Renjun watched the two of them talk, distancing himself while eating in silence, and wondering if the thought of his parents visiting had ever crossed Jeno's mind. Because neither Jaemin said anything nor did the alpha ask what happened, even though the house was filled with unfamiliar omega scents. They toured, right? Almost every corner smelled of Renjun's parents!

"There's a party this weekend, but I'm not going..." Jeno said, suddenly playing with his food.

"Why?" the beta asked in surprise. "Students' parties must be fun," he added enthusiastically. "I never had a student party. Junnie, did you? You and your omegas—"

Renjun took the opportunity that Jeno had his eyes on food and glared at the home economist. With all his might. He still couldn't understand why Jaemin tried to include him in their conversations when every time he did, it killed the atmosphere and made Jeno less talkative.

Surprised by the glare, Jaemin leaned back in his chair. He raised his brow, questioning Renjun's wrath, which only annoyed the omega even more. Was he not aware of what he was doing?

"I don't think they're that fun. Just alcohol, noise, and embarrassing mistakes," Jeno shrugged his shoulders. "I'd rather stay home..." he added shyly, glancing at the beta, then looking down on his food again.

The atmosphere turned weird. The only difference from how it normally went was that Renjun wasn't at fault this time. He didn't even open his mouth, but something happened and made it awkward.

The omega lowered a spoon down to a plate as quietly as he could and looked at one, then another, noticing that the two had their eyes darted to the table, and for once, neither talked. Jeno spread no pheromones, and Jaemin couldn't even if he tried. For this reason, it was even harder for Renjun to understand what was happening before his eyes. In his opinion, nothing really happened, right? Jeno just said the most homebody thing one could say, but why did everyone suddenly go silent?

"Renjun," Jaemin spoke, breaking the silence and startling the omega, especially when he unexpectedly looked up and their eyes met.

It was one of the rare times Jaemin didn't call him his nickname.