062 an impromptu event

Start from the beginning

Ariadne rolled her eyes, "You saw me two hours ago."

"So?"

"How was the meeting?" She wondered. Theseus had been invited to a hearing, Newt's fifth attempt at lifting his travel ban. The poor man had been trying to revoke his limitations of travel, especially since there was a woman in America he really wanted to see. Ariadne had never meddled in his business but at Dumbledore's request, she went to Theseus and begged him to help her. He appealed to Travers' needs and came up with a deal, one that Ariadne knew Newt would never accept, but hey, one can only hope.

"Boring," Theseus concluded, hoping to hide the frustration he felt. Newt had completely walked away from commitment, turning his head when responsibility fell on his shoulders. It wasn't the fact that Newt had rejected Travers' request that had hurt him most, it was the fact that Newt couldn't see the bigger picture. Soon enough he would be affected by the oncoming war, and soon enough he would have to choose a side.

"Maybe it was because you were there," she mused.

"Rude."

And because Ariadne could see right through him, she tilted her head to the side, running her fingers along his scalp. "He didn't accept the offer did he?"

"Nope," Theseus disclosed, the memory replaying in his mind. "He was furious."

"To be fair, I am too," Ariadne stated, "Credence is just a boy. Killing him is not right."

"He killed fifty people through his own rage."

"Don't do that." Ariadne glared at his bookshelf with displeasure. She knew what he was doing, because standing in front of her was the most empathetic man she knew. It wasn't fair to direct her irritation at Theseus when he was just conveying their reasonings. So, she let her scowl fall on the inanimate object.

Theseus moved her eyes back to his blue ones with the touch of his hand on her cheek. "Just because I understand them, does not mean I agree with them."

"You can't blame him," she refuted. She hated the way that they insistently classified Credence as a monster. Someone who had to be eliminated because of what he did. He was consumed by so much guilt that he would accept any punishment required to break even. "They have to understand that-"

"You know we can't do anything to stop them," Theseus said, shaking his head softly. It disturbed him that no matter how many times they had this conversation, he had to remind her that they couldn't do anything because she believed that they could. Whatever the International Confederation decided goes. Even Travers couldn't do anything but obey. "I was only invited to the hearing because they wanted Newt to join the auror department."

What good is power if you can't use it? She wanted to let out, but she didn't. It was unfair to accuse him of such and she knew it. Slowly nodding, she bit her lip, stopping any more aimless words from tumbling out.

"How about dinner tonight?" He offered, hoping to lighten the mood.

"I can't. I'm meeting up with old friends."

"Oh boo," he heckled, mocking anger as his hand tucked in a stray piece of her brown hair. She gazed up at him, love adoring her face.

"Serves you right for ditching us at lunch again," she teased, getting up all in his face as he took a step back.

"That's unfair. I can't help that you know it," he said, a finger pointing accusingly at her.

"Boo," she mocked. He smiled, pulling her close to tickle her torso. She laughed as she tried to squirm out of his grasp. "Okay, okay. I have to go back," she giggled, letting him press a series of kisses on her lips. It took her mind a lot of convincing before she stepped out of his embrace, knowing that she would have to return to her desk eventually. Leaving him with one last kiss, she smirked to herself before opening the door, "You have lipstick on your lips." And without waiting for his reply, she forced the door between them.