02

—- SOCIAL MEDIA, REAL LIFE

@ LEIGHTONPRINCE

liked by flaujae and 500 othersleightonprince new home

leightonprince new home... senior year les gooo

view 35 comments

uconncheerteam Excited to have you, Leighton!

angelreese10 gna miss you girl 🫶🏼

—————————————————————

The atmosphere was a lot different in Connecticut compared to Louisiana. But somehow, I knew this place was going to be a lot more memorable than Baton Rouge. Don't get me wrong, I loved LSU. I loved cheering there, but it just wasn't home. I never really felt as if I fit in, always trying to be perfect for someone. It wasn't until I got a message from UConn's head cheer coach saying there was an open spot if i was interested, that I knew it was time for a change. I wanted my senior year to be as perfect as possible. I heard UConn was known for their amazing basketball programs, but I wasn't too sure.

The late April weather was a lot nicer here in Storrs than it ever was in Louisiana. I had finished my tryouts last week, and this week I am getting my new uniforms. I look a lot better in white and navy than purple and yellow, so I'm not too mad. Summer practices start at the end of May. I came on campus early to grab my uniforms and speak to one of my professors. Because I'm majoring in exercise science, all students have to complete a training exam that lasts a full year. I'm not too sure what the details are, but all I know is I am assigned to an athlete at this college, as a in-training athletic trainer. My dream is to become an athletic trainer, which is another reason I transferred to UConn, in hopes to achieve that dream. My professor emailed me saying he'd love to speak to me whenever I have the chance over the summer, so I can find out who I am assigned to. I'm hoping I get someone decent, considering things might get personal.

I'm a little nervous walking into Coach Lane's office. I've spoken to her once on the phone, so it's not totally unfamiliar, but I do want to make a good first impression. However, I am not met by the familiar voice I heard on the phone. A bubbly blonde pops in my face with the widest grin I have ever seen.

"Hi! You must be Leighton, I'm Avery. I'm soooo glad to have you on the team. I will admit, I stalked you and I already love you. We're gonna be best friends!" Avery said.

We're gonna be best friends.

"Oh- Hi! It's nice to have a friend," I laughed, "I won't be completely alone now."

"Oh no!!! This team is the full of the most welcoming girls I have ever met, I promise you," said Avery. "Coach Lane had to run some errands but I do have everything here for you, summer practices are Wednesday-Friday from 10 A.M to 1 P.M." She finished.

"Okay, thank you! Also if you're not busy could you show me around some?" I asked, I was not familiar with the campus yet, so why not ask for some help.

As she showed me around the campus I admired Avery, not in that way, but she really was beautiful. She had the most perfect blowout I have ever seen, and her perfect shade of honey blonde hair topped it off. Her nose was small, button shaped. Her doe eyes looked around almost shyly, even though she was the complete opposite . She even looked like she had a big heart. I hoped she would be a friend here, at least until I graduate. Friendships aren't really my thing anymore.

As Avery took me into the library, I couldn't help but notice a curly haired girl sitting to herself. She almost looked.. familiar, but I couldn't quite tell considering her back was turned. I walked to the other side of the Library, staring from a distance.

Azzi?

It can't be. Why would she be in this library, at this college? I can't deal with any more reminders.

I took note of the way she had changed since I had last seen her. Her face rounded out, making her look more mature. Her curly hair still looked flawless. The gleam in her eyes was still there, the happiness she brought out onto others. It was a natural gift really. But now, seeing her did not bring me happiness. But instead brought me back to the place I fought so hard to get out of.

"Hey Avery, can you show me the cafeteria?"

—————————————————————

—————————————————————-

first real chapter slayyy
i love avery and i love azzi