Drei

"There's something at work in my soul, which I do not understand"-Mary Shelley

-
Mary Shelley

Y/n

I give her a smile and nod my head, with that I turn to walk into class. The door slams shut behind me as I stand there with my new peers eyes all glued to me. A student in the back of class lets out a cough and the teacher speaks.

"I assume you're Y/n?" She queries as she turns her body fully facing me and away from the desks where the students sat. I urge my feet forward and open my mouth to speak.

"I am, nice to meet you." I say trying to ignore the murmuring coming from the kids who sat and stared. Mrs. Wilson sends me a smile and tells me to take a seat next to the kid in the red hoodie. The kid whose name I later learned was Eli which was short for Elijah. He turns to me with a curious look on his face.

"Where did you come from?" He questioned. I scrunch my face and turn to look at him.

"What?" I asked a little taken aback by his straightforwardness. A smirk pulls at his lips.

"Well you're not from Jersey I can tell that much. So where are you from?" He questions again, persistent. I paused and stared at him with my mouth agape. Who does this kid think he is?

"Why does it matter?" I snap back "I don't know you"

"Woah, I'm just trying to get to know you" He hold his hands up In surrender. At this my shoulders relax a little. It's something I need to work on, I can't just shut off and be so defensive when someone is just trying to be nice. Having this guard up won't get me new friends, and allow me to start over. I reminded myself I'm not going to let anything like what happened back west happen here.

"oh." I pause for a moment and he turns back to his phone. "Washington." I say suddenly. I don't know what warranted me to tell him, maybe this is the turning point. Maybe change isn't so bad and it is okay to let people in. Eli turns back to me

"Sick, you seem cool." He takes a beat to ponder his next words. "I was new here once too, it's not all that bad. Do you have friends?" He asks. I let out a sigh.

"Really?" I retort.

"I meant here. In jersey?"

"Well no, I haven't really gotten the chance to mingle."

"Sit with my friends and I at lunch" He beams. "I think you'll fit in perfectly."

I couldn't tell if this kid was fucking with me to get my hopes up just to laugh in my face. I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Is there a catch?" The corner of my lips start to turn upwards. He gives a breathy chuckle.

"Nope, like I said. I think my friends would like you." He smiles. "I actually think Sadie would like you best." My head snaps in his direction, almost a little too quickly.

"Sadie?" I quipped.

"Yeah, why you know her?"

"Our paths crossed briefly, she's my tour guide. She walked me to class this morning." His grin spreads at that.

"Sadie the saint is what I like to call her. or Sadie the suck up. Man does she love to kiss this schools ass." I chuckle at that. Time goes by pretty fast after that, Eli and I still exchanging small talk getting to know each other.
Twenty minutes later the Bell goes off signaling that class is over and students rush off. I start to pack up when I hear a laugh coming from the front of the room. I look up to see where it came from, it's Sadie and Eli standing by the door talking. I notice Sadie look over in my direction after Eli finished talking, he turned around and gave me a smile then walked off. I looked away flushed at the fact I was obviously trying to be nosy, I hear footsteps approaching my desk. It's Sadie.

"Hey, how was your first class here?" Her delicate voice piercing the silence now that the classroom was pretty much empty. "I hope Eli didn't give you too much trouble. He's a lot, but means well." She finishes with a small laugh. I zip up my bag and sling it over my shoulder, an exasperated sigh leaves my lips. I turn to Sadie.

"He was off putting at first, that's for sure." She tosses her head back to let out a laugh. I smile at that, and let out a soft chuckle of my own. We start to make our way out of the classroom.

"What class do you have next?" She asks me pointing to the schedule that I dawned in my left hand. I look down at it to study the chart.

"Study hall in the library."

"Sweet me too." She starts to trail off. She has this thoughtful look in her eyes. "I want to apologize for earlier by the way, I really didn't mean to upse-." I quickly cut her off waving my hands.

"No it's okay really, but thank you for apologizing." I give her a smile. "You were just curious, no harm in that." I shrug. The rest of the walk to the library was made in comfortable silence.