A2-03: Welcome Back

◇ABOA || ARCH 02◇

- CHAPTER 3

-
Seeing the new employees sitting at the desk, bathed in the shadows of the dark defening daycare, almost just about had you running right back out.
Like the coward you promised to never be again.

The only comfort you had, was your open seat, same once you used to always sit at.
Thank god.
1st it'd be weird to sit somewhere new, 2nd it just... feels better and more natural there. It feels like you haven't been replaced, even if you may have.

The doors behind you closed as you stepped away from them, causing you to flinch as the workers snapped their heads to you.
You'd label them 'A, B, & C' from A being the closest one sitting by you, and worker C being the farthest. Sure you may have said their names, but in your head it always censored to just that,
Workers A, B, and C.

You quickly stepped and sat at your spot, the three stared at you as if you were a psychopath. Or maybe you just hated being alive and well.
"Hey uh-" Worker B started, only to get quickly cut off by C, "-Just let them find out for themselves, we all had to." She huffed, and your expression turned incredulous.

"Greenbean, what's good? Y/n, I'll guess. Kinda crazy they'd force someone so un-experienced into such a high position. . ." Worker A started slowly, before putting on a smile, and out a hand for you to shake.
"I worked here before." You said with a dry smile returned, which almost flipped to offense once B and C held grins saying, 'ah, you're one of THOSE people'..

No, you really did work here before.

"And yet you came back. Right... totally worked here before. Let me guess! You're 'friends' with the robots too?" Worker C asked snarkily, and you pressed your lips together tightly, because uh...
"Yeah..?" You said hesitantly, but instantly faltered a bit at their entertained expressions.
"Pft, sure, okay. We'll tell Moon ya said that, sure he'd love to hear some random putting that on his name." C continued, before getting lightly elbowed by worker B. "-They'll get in hell already, just back off." He whispered to her, though everyone could hear.

Yeah, you shouldn't have came back.

If turns out they DIDN'T remember you then you'd might as wel-
You got cut from your thoughts, as you felt a harsh tug on the back of your collar, pulling you off your chair, subconsciously letting out a yelp, and making the other employees quickly stand up and stumble back few paces, their eyes trained above your head.

"Jumpy. . ."

Moon remarked quietly, and you recognized the voice immediately, the animatronic brought his attention back to you, tilting your chin back a bit to examine your face, delighted in watching you examine him too. Yet he didn't say anything.
Why wasn't he saying anything-?

Moons' faceplate had a couple new lines down it, a blue rubber-like material coating both sides of his face, right where their spiraled cheeks used to be. It made him able to twist his expression into a scowl the second worker A spoke out, "Uhhh yes! This is the new hire, I think they might be delusional, I mean, they think they used to be friends with you!" She said with a waving hand, yet the quake in her voice could be easily heard.
Wow really still trying?
His teeth didn't move as he spoke, but once the usual smile left, his teeth lifted slightly up into his face-plate, giving the illusion of opening his mouth, before the sets of razors slammed back down into eachother, his gaze snapping up at the worker. "What?"

If anything he was more offended they thought you two didn't know eachother.
You had to have known him.
You had to.

Moon let go of your shirt, keeping a hand right behind your neck to help you stabilize yourself for a moment, and the workers stared at the two, they couldn't quite put their fingers on it, but something seemed. . . Different, here.

"You guys.. don't. . . Know eachother. . . Right?" Worker A tried to confirm, but Moon only stretched back on his usual before-upgrade smile which still seemed just as never ending as before. "Sit down." He told the group, but once you flicked your gaze to your chair, Moon followed up with, "-Not you."
So you dragged your gaze away from it, glancing up at him, was he taller now? Ugh hell if you could tell, you were probably just used to human-sized folk nowadays.

They all basically tripped over themselves to reach their chairs, their haste carving out a stifled laugh from you, but you immediately shut it up at the glares they shot back.

You took a glance up, and noticed Moon staring at you, in slight shock and confusion. Maybe he just processed you got here. "Why are you here."
The expression you held flinched, and you opened your mouth to say something, but had to shut it, as the only answer you knew, you couldn't say.

"I. . ." Letting out a sigh, you turned your gaze back to the floor where it once laid. Moon leaned down a bit, bringing your hand up infront of him, "You try to pull that again, and I won't be so forgiving, Starlight." A familiar static slowly rang out of his voice, and you couldn't help but quickly steal a glance at the workers, you wouldn't show it on your face, but their priceless expressions dropped straight onto the floor mats, made you wish to wear a grin and taunt them for their accusations.

"I won't again-" You paused, "-there would've been no point in coming back." You huffed, turning your head away from him, and pulling your hand back into your pocket quickly. His smile twitched.
"Oh- hey uh.. I do have a. . . Small issue I should say." You recalled, Moon gaze snapped down to your tense set of shoulders, before dragging it back up, - you caught that. Made you wonder what of your subconscious changes he was observing. "Say it."

"I'm not really in the same job as I used to be. . And, now they're having me out during- scheduled naptime, mostly."

. . .

That's not fair.

That's not fair.

That's not fair.

His smile only grew, but it was thin. Sun wasn't playing this game fairly.

Moon needed to even out the playing field somehow.

As his fingers flexed, your expression cringed as a couple unfond memories finally came back to you. You couldn't believe you forgot every negative interaction you had with them.
A laugh emitted from his voice box, the static was gone and the sound clear, yet it still felt forced out. "That's unfortunate. . ."

"We should. . .turn on the lights soon." Worker A recommended, you didn't like seeing how calm they were when speaking, but that's a thought for another time.

When the worker spoke, it finally gave you reason to look at the others, when you saw pity, and respect, and only other disbelief on their expressions, a part of you was upset you didn't shatter their pride.

Reminded you a bit... sure, Moon has been talking and responding, but they're all so. . . Short. Even when you first met him he didnt— suppose his code changed slightly, doesn't matter, nevermind.

You shook it off, and took your seat back at the desk, you were expecting more nostalgia than you ended up getting.
"I'm sure Sun would love to see you. . ." Moon said finally, though it was quieter, and you could hear a tone in which you weren't able to fully label. . . Then again, you were a royal dumbass with this shit already.

"I'd like to see Sun." You followed up, a smile playing on your face, but you almost wiped it clean off when you saw Moons' glare on you.
Maybe you should've just stayed quiet.

"Ready-" "Stop talking." A worker tried to prompt Moon, but he interrupted them the second they said anything, so they mumbled an 'okay...' with a huff, before you could watch the room seep into a bright hue once more.

—♤