After Dark

I laid in my bed, the thin cotton covers draping over my body which hardly needed the coverage since the night was a warm spring one.

My window was left wide open letting the mildly humid air wander my room.

I heard light grunting and the sound of someone climbing outside, of course knowing who my boyfriend was, I could already tell who it was.

"Dallas?" I sat up and met his gaze.

He was in the middle of stripping his jacket off when he looked up at me and I saw the marks.

"What's wrong with your face?" I asked him.

"Nothing's wrong with my face." He snapped, I flinched and his face became sympathetic.

"Sorry, sugar. Just got a lot on my mind. I had a fight with one of the Brumly boys and the fuzz showed. I hope they ain't gonna snitch." He crawled into bed and laid his head in my lap.

"Will you at least let me clean up those marks?" He was silent.

"Fine." He uttered out.

I got to it and retrieved the first aid kit from the bathroom then began tending to his face.

"Ow, could ya cut it out doll? That hurts." Dally flinched as soon as the peroxide-drenched cotton ball came in contact with his face.

"Dal, why is it only after dark that you act and do all, well- this." I sighed restlessly.

"Because sweetheart, I know no one can see us or hurt us like this, when it's dark." We kissed briefly before he grinned foolishly and we continued to do whatnot.

But Dallas was wrong. The darkness is what consumed him, and it's consuming me too just very slowly.