Ch. 11 24 hours - Part 1.

Start from the beginning

No, I take that back.

I'm the asshole here, everyone else that remained were fucking morons.

My eyes wandered to the spread before me and what stood out were two goblets full of water: one tall, one short with beads of sweat collecting at their rims as if nervous to be front and center of my towering presence.

Is that how Mia and Casey appeared?

I can imagine them fiercely embracing each other, petrified that everything around them exploded in size, giving them the illusion that their hapless fates were sealed.

Like a vivid photo, rich in earth tones, their frightened stares appeared so clear to me, just like all those years ago: They're mistaking a protective father for an angry, monstrous figure. I wanted to reach out to gingerly wipe their troubles away and show them what a caring father looked like. That my size has nothing to do with the unconditional love I have for them.

I often think back to the last conversation with Mia and what I would give to take back what I said. I wanted to apologize profusely and curse myself for not severing the puppet strings my anger created to manipulate my words and actions.

"So, are you admitting you're a dangerous giant, then?"

"Where's your physical proof that I am?"

Why did I say that to her? I frowned, rubbing firmly at my forehead as if that did anything.

My intrusive thoughts hijacked my logic and rationale, deciding that now would be the best time to act on emotion and think of the worst-case scenario. I was reminded that I hadn't the slightest clue if Mia and Casey were okay. What if they were in more danger this time and I couldn't do anything about it? What if they got sick? What if they had an allergic reaction to food that we weren't aware of?

I silently groaned as more questions poured into my head, practically to the point where I could feel it drain out from my ears. My expression hardened and I had to flex my unsettled hands under the table. Mark my words, I swear if anything happened to our children, accident or not, there isn't a military on this planet strong enough to cease my rampage.

Shit...I have to calm down and keep my composure as best as I can. My colleagues already don't trust me after what I did. I should take another breath and remind myself to count my blessings and be grateful that the Sheriff continued to report back to me from the hospital. It seemed that our plan was going swimmingly when it came to the kids. One of his deputies had a niece a little older than Mia who was good with kids, so she offered to watch them at least until we arrived.

Saturday. That was tomorrow.

That day can't get here quickly enough.

Russell was my only way of communicating with them after I was cut off. I recalled the last meeting I had with him, and it almost left me irritated but not at his situation. I knew I was a jerk but not that big of a jerk knowing he had to attend to his wife's ailments.

◄◄

"You aren't looking well, Sheriff, are you okay?" I leaned further toward him, tilting my head.

He appeared distressed somehow as if he was afraid to tell me something. I didn't want to assume that it had anything to do with our kids. He knew that if it was emergent, he wouldn't have waited until we met in person to tell me. I told him to follow human procedure since they aren't under our care yet.

And to keep me updated at all times.

He removed his campaign hat, lifting his fatigued eyes to meet mine, and I was taken aback. He looked as if he'd aged twenty more years. His uniform appeared tattered and worn out as if it hadn't been washed in a long time. If his eyes could speak, they would probably beg for a full night of sleep.