Chapter Eight

We slept under a bridge near a river. It was near the edge of the city, which was also the border of the kingdom. My stomach flipped with anticipation and nerves. I needed to get to the border and cross it. I could start a new life. Find new people. Make my own family.

My insides went cold.

My family.

I glanced at Cedric who was now curling up beside a rock, wriggling to get in a more comfortable position. He didn't know of my dilemma. I debated whether or not I should tell him. If I told him, I'd be speaking out about my problems, which always helped my anxiety. But... I didn't want him to know the burden I'm under.

I wondered if he had left anyone. He certainly didn't seem like it, but by now, I thought that Cedric hides a lot, and outside appearances are deceiving.

But he must've had someone! Maybe family? Maybe even something like a pet. Perhaps a girl?

At that, my heart raced for a reason I didn't know.

I finished washing my body (fully clothed, though) and went to join Cedric by the rock. He appeared to be sleeping, but I knew better than that. His breathing wasn't as even and slow as a sleeper.

The rocks we laid on weren't comfortable, but I tried my best, laying my head on a log.

It was a chilly night, but I was used to the cold, for the dungeons were always cold. But still, I wished I could have a blanket.

Sleep evaded me, leaving me turning and tossing for what seemed like hours. It probably was hours. In the beginning, I felt stirs of anxiety rising, but I breathed deeply, quieting them. There was no reason to be afraid of being awake. None at all.

Finally, when it was around the third hour of the morning, I fell asleep.

"Go! Take her and go!" a woman screams.

A young boy is holding me, gripping me protectively by the arm. He shakes his head frantically, saying, "no, Mama, I won't! Not without you!"

The woman, his mother, smiles, and all the sudden everything slows. The woman embraces her son. "You'll be alright, Lucas, guide her. Protect her. I love you."

The woman lets go of her son and flees. The boy holds out his hand, in a longing matter, but gathers his wits and starts pulling me away. I, who am only eight at the time, followed without saying anything. I am confused, but I trust Lucas. He has always taken care of me. He won't stop now.

Disorientation for a few seconds. Dread weighs in my chest. I am back in Daofen. But this time, it is not I who is behind bars. Deep in shadow, a figure is seated by the jail walls. I strain to see. Only with the flickering light of the torches that are held in my hands, can I determine a boy's body. I edge closer to the bars, intending to ask who he is, and hear a haunting, "you have to help me, Aelia."

The voice belongs to Cedric.

This was the day. The day we finally would read the border. Even though I slept only a couple of hours, I felt ready and alert. Excited to move on. Ready to start new.

We decided to stick to the water, as there was no one there. This way, we had to be alert, but we didn't have to be paranoid that anybody would specifically see us. Most people didn't come down here, unless of course, they were escaping to the border.

"You seem chip," Cedric said.

I smiled. "Shouldn't I? This is the day we start new."

He remained quiet for a couple seconds until, "what are you planning on doing once we get over?" he didn't look at me.