II. The Cat Excuse

September, 1994.

Hermione sat in their compartment aboard the Hogwarts Express with the Daily Prophet in hand. She was reading about the "Terror at the Quidditch World Cup." The article explained everything which Hermione had witnessed and about how the Ministry officials there had to stop the chaos. It said that they weren't even sure who put together the attack which shocked her. Didn't they have security in an area filled with so many witches, wizards, and especially muggles? Who was supposed to be looking out for everyone?

Ron told her that there was security which made her even more nervous. How had the death eaters conjured such a spectacle under the noses of countless Ministry officials and security wizards? She wondered if maybe someone from the Ministry had helped them. Someone like Draco's dad who worked at and was respected within the Ministry but was so blatantly a follower of Voldemort, which they knew because of Tom Riddle's diary.

Harry was sitting beside the open window of the compartment with a letter labeled "Sirius Black" on the front. He placed it into Hedwig's beak and sent her off through the window.

"What's that one saying?" asked Ron.

Harry sighed. "Hermione said I should let him know about the Quidditch match and that dream I told you about."

"The one with Petigrew and–um–uh–"

"Voldemort," Harry offered. He was not afraid of the name like most people were. "Yeah, that one. I think it'll only worry Sirius."

"Harry. Your scar is hurting and you're having vivid dreams about the most dangerous wizard in the world in which he's taken a sort of human form. I know you have the mentality that handling things on your own is your only option but this is bigger than just yourself. This could affect the entire wizarding world, and even the muggle world. If–Voldemort–somehow resurrects himself, it will become a much bigger deal than worrying Sirius who cares for you and believes in you and wants to help you more than anything in the world," said Hermione in one breath while still looking at her newspaper.

Both of the boys were silent for a few seconds until Ron cleared his throat and opened his mouth to add something but ultimately decided against it and closed it again, leaning back and staring out the window.

The Start-of-Term Feast ended up being one of the most eventful yet. Two other magical schools, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, joined them in the Great Hall as Dumbledore announced that five years had passed since the last Triwizard Tournament and that one would be occurring this year. Fred and George were ablaze with excitement until Dumbledore said the Ministry decided that only students who were at least 17 years of age could enter their names to the Goblet of Fire to be chosen to represent their school in the tournament. They had just turned 16 in April.

"That's rubbish!" they chanted.

Hermione looked across the hall and saw Cedric Diggory at the Hufflepuff table talking with his friends. He seemed to have quite a few of them. Cedric seemed to be right in the middle of them all drawing their attention with whatever amusing anecdote he was referencing. Past him, she saw Draco Malfoy, a bland expression on his face as he watched all of the Slytherins around him talking loudly about the Triwizard Tournament. She wondered if Ron and Harry were right and Malfoy was just as evil as his father, and if she should have defended him at all back in the forest. She only did it because she remembered the way people always seemed to underestimate muggle-born wizards. They seemed to think that because Hermione's parents were muggles, she could never be as good of a witch as someone with two wizard parents. They were wrong, of course. She was the "Brightest Witch of Her Age" according to Sirius because she had worked hard. She thought the same kind of way about Malfoy. Harry and Ron seemed to think that just because Draco's parents were evil Voldemort supporters, he would eventually become one no matter what. He was foul and downright hurtful sometimes but she did not want to stoop down to the level of the people who underestimated her at first. Suddenly, Malfoy looked in her direction and she averted her gaze as quickly as possible without drawing attention to herself.