Chapter 2

The heat of the sun drew him out of oblivion. He was on fertile soil. He could barely remember a thing except the look of terror in a villager's eyes. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

Looking around, he took notice of the blood splattered on the wall.  He was deeply surprised he had gone on a killing spree. The demon was bloodthirsty. There was nothing anyone would tell him to think otherwise. He stepped out of the hut. He did not know what to feel anymore. Bodies were littered in the floor, most having their heads ripped off and  an opening in the chest. These was all the work of his hands.

If only Ojuru could help him now. He was obligated to bring back a pure maiden, one who is as fair as the sun with eyes as brown as the sands of a desert. He does not know when he will meet her or what her use to Ojuru might be, all he cared about was his freedom. It was his top priority now.

He enjoyed the silence though. He looked up to the sky. A hawk flew over his face with wings spread almost covering the sun. It hovered above him for a few minutes then it flapped it's wings and steered in another direction, away from the forest. Probably, to hunt down an unlucky chick.

Without hesitation he walked to the river and took off his waistcloth and dipped himself in the cool water.
He closed his eyes as the chilliness soothed his bones.

                              ★ ★ ★

The crackling of leaves and uneven footfalls drew his attention. Alarmed, he swimmed to the edge of the water and put on his waistcloth. Leaning against a tree, he waited.  The movements were getting louder. The branches cracking under their feet and the leaves falling enthusiastically on the floor.

He waited.

“ Who is there?” A familiar voice asked.

“ Lorrin, I don't think it's safe out here.” A female voice said in fright.

“ Do not underestimate a warrior like me, Ochola.”

Ochola! Could that be the name of the girl he saw. This was not a time to think of a woman. He stepped out into view. He sent a death glare towards Lorrin.

“ Well, what do we have here?” Sokoa said coldly.

“ Stay back, you thief!!”

He chuckled. Watching the warrior act bold made him want to burst in fits of laughter.

“ I see, you take me for a thief.”

He unsheathed his knife and tore his palm. Holding back the the shout that wanted to escape his lips took his whole willpower.

It started like lightning zapped though him. He was on all fours as his skin took a different form. His fingernails grew claws and his skin, from brown became as black as charcoal. His dark eyes were replaced with glowing red eyes.  Sokoa was no longer in charge of his own body, it was possessed by the demon.

“ Pardon me for my impoliteness, I am...”he paused, grinning mischievously,“ just passing through.”

Lorrin drew his spear and lunged at him. His precision was amusing. He waved the spear against Sokoa, constantly dodging his attacks. The adrenaline that boiled in  his veins propelled him forward as he thrust the spear through Sokoa's chest. The body stumbled backwards as blood oozed out of chest.

Slowly, he removed the spear and broke it on his leg.

“ I would not call this a fair fight Lorrin, I will advice you to train harder in case we meet again.”

He moved swiftly. He grabbed the warrior’s neck and lifted him in the air, then he brought him down on his back. A scream tore through the night.

   The anger vanished and so did the demon. He could hear someone whimpering in the shadows. Moving closer, he tried to feel her skin but she smacked him on his face. He ignored her actions and took her in his arms. Even So, she kept struggling and sobbing helplessly until she fell asleep. He carried her away. He was returning to where he came from . They might be safe there.