chapter ten

“Baby sister.” 

“You sound like Garroth. Has he possessed you?” 

Despite the jest, Laurance laughs. “You've always been my baby sister. Don't be silly. Are you ready for training?”

Alex grimances at how straightforward Laurance is. She looks towards Dante, finding him sitting on a nearby stump. “Why can't Garroth help me? He's not on duty, Brian is.” 

Laurance shakes his head. “Nonsense. Garroth was the foolish one who started this all. I am the one finishing it. Besides, I was amongst the top three of my class.” 

“Garroth was above you.” 

Laurance narrows his eyes at his sister. He didn't resent Garroth in any way about their positions. Though, he was beginning to resent Garroth at this moment for the mindset he placed his sister in.

“Forget that. Dante, I need you to be my sister's partner.” 

Dante stands from the stump, walking towards Alex in a nearly drunken stumble. He had been laughing at the two Zvahls, finding the sibling bickering to be touching. 

Alex smiles at Dante, ignoring Laurance's presence for the time being. She wasn't sure what she'd go through with this “training,” but she knew she'd probably be sore.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Vylad and Alex shared more aspects than Vylad wished to admit. Growing up, Garroth was the eye of everyone. He was the heir, afterall. Garroth was considered the most attractive Ro'meave brother, and he was incredibly charming. Everyone swooned over him. It didn't bother Vylad, however, as he was more interested in books rather than the opposite sex. 

Like Garroth, Cadenza was the sister to fawn over. Alex was always the baby of the family, never having a male look in her direction. She watched from afar as many would trip over themselves for a glance at her sister. 

Vylad finds the slight limp in Alex’s walk to be funny when they stumble into each other the following day. Laurance had an evening shift, so he wanted to work with Alex on everything she failed on the day before. He didn't want to go easy on her. If she wanted to protect herself, she needed to know far more than how to hold a dagger. He did this out of tough love. He hadn't even taught Cadenza any of this. 

Alex rubs her aching ankle, frowning at the sight. “He's going to kill me,” she says. She looks up at Vylad, reaching for the wrap she had around her ankle. She's been trying to support it in the meantime. 

“It's brotherly love,” Vylad says, looking down at her ankle. It was a bit swollen. There was no doubt about it. He frowns at the sight, taking over the act of rolling for her. “Though, he shouldn't be working you so hard.” 

Alex shakes her head. “You said it yourself. It's brotherly love. I'm sure Garroth would act this way towards Kandi if the roles were reversed.”

“You need to ice when you get home. It'll take the swelling down.” 

Alex shares a knowing look with Vylad. While she didn't enjoy the fact he was right, she wasn't going to deny the truth. She releases a soft exhale, a weak smile following. 

“I'm going to be an absolute assassin by the time we're finished. No one will be able to see me coming.” 

Vylad playfully rolls his eyes at her. “That's if they don't hear you first. “You're not exactly quiet with that limp of yours.” 

Alex's eyes widen at the insult. She pushes him slightly, watching him return to his seat position within seconds. “Why–” Alex starts, standing up with two fists raised alongside her. “I'll make you eat those words!”

He begins to laugh at her immature behavior. He stands beside her, covering her fist with his hand. Vylad shakes his head at Alex, unconvinced by her words. He didn't want to fight her, but she was being stubborn. 

“Alright, show me what you've learned.” 

Alex learned the basics from Laurance. She wasn't great at it, but she wasn't terrible. Vylad saw there was room to grow, and he was able to pick up on certain areas that could be changed. The moves were traditional, and he could see the wheels turning in her head. 

She didn't like being corrected. He stopped her a few times, making her repeat herself. It angered her when it was the same move constantly repeated. 

“This isn't fair. You're just as bad as Laurance,” Alex pouts, growing frustrated. She goes towards him once more, managing to pin him against a tree. 

A moment of joy overflows her. She smiles at her small victory, but it's ruined shortly after when Vylad manages to switch to their positions. 

The moment freezes between them. Alex can feel Vylad’s breath against her skin. Even though her back is pressed firmly against the tree, all Alex can feel are the butterflies floating around her stomach. Her heart beats rapidly, and a blush has crept to her cheeks. Vylad stares down at her. The two share a locked gaze. Alex's eyes are full of love. Vylad picks up on this, and his breath hitches. 

It's a second before Alex is turned around with her own dagger pointed towards her. “Life isn't fair, Alex,” he tells her, placing the dagger firmly in her hands. “I'm sorry you have to learn this the hard way.”